· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Since you can't have a real severum - ScottishFish   Thanks for the help stocking my aquarium! - tate8   A dontation for your school of Neons. - steeler1   They don't have your loach but this one is closer to yours than a clown loach. - steeler1   A television for you, while I rearrange. :) - tate8   

Default Best planted substrate?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey team.

Have been looking at switching to a dirted tank for plants and have a few option to chose from - CaribSea Eco-complete, JBL Aquabasis or Seachem Flourite. Any opinions on which is best or positive/negative experiences would be appreciated!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I've had success with eco-complete and seachem flourite is a fan favorite. Not sure about the Aquabasis. Could you go fully dirted and use soil? I use 100% organic potting soil from MiracleGro. Cap it with sand. Very good root growth.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I use Eco Complete in all my tanks and really like this. Best part is no rinsing needed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I only have experience with the seachem fluorite. I have a ~50/50 mix of black fluorite and black sand in my tank. Seams to work very well for me, but I also use root fert tabs as well.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    Is the ADA range of substrate systems available to you?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I use Eco Complete in all my tanks and really like this. Best part is no rinsing needed.
    I agree 150% no rinsing, it will not break down like other products because it is an ion exchanger and stores nutrients instead of being the source of the nutrient. Means it is a one shot deal, don't need to replace it ever. Will not break down into sludge, or bring any unwanted nutrients with it. It doesn't get stuck in filters either and I have the super fine black one. My loaches and corys love it and will frequently redesign the tank to their liking while they root around for snails and food.

I do supplement with liquid fertilizers (Seachem flourish, and flourish iron) and pressurized CO2, and just added some root tabs to the substrate.
    Last edited by Boundava; 10-27-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    I have tried several things; had the best results with 1/2-1" organic potting soil, covered with a thin layer of bentonite (cheap, all-natural cat litter), covered with 1-2" of gravel. Rooted plants grew like CRAZY in that stuff, and it was dirt cheap...
    Friends don't let friends use clown-puke gravel.
    www.whistlingbadger.com

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just started using eco complete in a 10 gallon so the jury is still out on how effective it is growing plants, although I haven't had any problems with it.

The one thing I will say about eco complete is that I didn't consider how it would impact my choice of bottom dwellers. It is not smooth or comfortable to touch at all, and I realized after I installed that I couldn't keep loaches or cories.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    I have tried several things; had the best results with 1/2-1" organic potting soil, covered with a thin layer of bentonite (cheap, all-natural cat litter), covered with 1-2" of gravel. Rooted plants grew like CRAZY in that stuff, and it was dirt cheap...
    lol dirt cheap. I see what you did there!
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
    I just started using eco complete in a 10 gallon so the jury is still out on how effective it is growing plants, although I haven't had any problems with it.

The one thing I will say about eco complete is that I didn't consider how it would impact my choice of bottom dwellers. It is not smooth or comfortable to touch at all, and I realized after I installed that I couldn't keep loaches or cories.
    I have eco compete, have had it for years and have both loaches and corys, they love it and have all of their barbels. Not sure where the problem would be. They will actively dig in it and spit it out and I have had corys in it for over 7 years, loaches for 3 years.