· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - Compass   

Question Driftwood - Do you have any suggestions to keep it sunk?

0 Not allowed!
    I got a large piece of driftwood, about 30 inches long by 15 inches high, and cannot keep it submersed. Any suggestions for keeping it in place? I was going to drill a hole in part of the large section and fill it with Quikcrete cement, but that means that I will always have to have it facing the same way in the future if it ends up too obvious. The piece now can be placed in almost any direction and look good.

Thanks for the advice.
    120g Bala and Roseline Sharks, catfish and gouramis
    30g Planted tank with tiger lotus and eusteralis, neons, rummy noses, and rams
    6g Planted tank with eusteralis and swords, bettas and neons
    All my tanks are 6.8-7.0 pH, my two small tanks are live plants only. Working on changing the 120 to live plants.
    Also have 350g pond with koi, but the raccoons found them, so that project is on hold.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

2 Not allowed!
    silicon it to a piece of slate? You should be able to peel it off if you want to change it after...
    20gal long planted community
    5 gal planted betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Depends on the type of wood. If you got it from a shop, chances are it will sink on its own, it just needs a little help. Get a few rocks and weigh it down. Leave it like that for a few months. Maybe even longer. Eventually you can remove the rocks and it will stay submerged. Obviously the negative here is you have to have unsightly rocks on it for a while. The pro is you are free to put it in any position.

If the wood is something like Cypress, you'll never get it to sink. You'll have to do what Sheamurai suggested.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't think it will sink on its own. It has been sitting in a tub for a few weeks already.
    120g Bala and Roseline Sharks, catfish and gouramis
    30g Planted tank with tiger lotus and eusteralis, neons, rummy noses, and rams
    6g Planted tank with eusteralis and swords, bettas and neons
    All my tanks are 6.8-7.0 pH, my two small tanks are live plants only. Working on changing the 120 to live plants.
    Also have 350g pond with koi, but the raccoons found them, so that project is on hold.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waldorfsalad View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't think it will sink on its own. It has been sitting in a tub for a few weeks already.
    Eh, I've had to wait months for some pieces to sink. Though if you don't want to go that route then the slate piece glued to the bottom is the best option. Then just push the substrate over the slate and you'll never know it was there.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

no door or window will stand in your way - cm12setx   You need some fish! - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Eh, I've had to wait months for some pieces to sink. Though if you don't want to go that route then the slate piece glued to the bottom is the best option. Then just push the substrate over the slate and you'll never know it was there.
    140 tank 003.jpg
    I have a large piece of drift wood, that I soaked for over 3 months, never sank, I used a large piece of blue/gray slate, position the drift wood on the slate(out of tank of course), kinda find how it best fit by locating two holes or branches that are close to the bottom of drift wood, mark the slate with a crayon or just scratch the general location, use a small concrete drill bit to drill about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch hole thru the slate at your marks, use the large zip ties that are use to hold air conditioning vent tube in place (avsilable at almost any large home improvement store to attach the drift wood to slate. Works really well, and though sound sound complex it isn't. Preserves your drift wood for future ways to display without holes in it, also no chance of glue or silicone giving way. Hopefully the pic above will help in my directions
    Mrs. Wayhilc's 55g--Dwarf Gourami, Long Fin Zebra Danio, Harlequin Rosora, Black Ghost Knife Fish

Niger River 140g---Up and running, African Leaf Fish, Elephant Nose, Gourami, Feather Finned Cat Fish, African Butterfly

Cricket Farm---crickets