· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A friend for your lonely guppy! - Fraoch   For your tank! lol - Northernguy   For always answering my 50,000 questions! =) - emilyekk   You need another guppy for yours - Owlbehere   Sorry about your little friend - Jaster   
    Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - emilyekk   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - emilyekk   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - emilyekk   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - emilyekk   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - emilyekk   

Default weird film on plants?

0 Not allowed!
    I hope I am posting this in the correct section. :)
    I just set my tank up on Sunday. I added the three plants shown, water clarifier and api QuickStart to the tank so far and that is it.

Today, I noticed this weird film on the plant in the foreground. The other two plants in the back seem totally fine.

I also took a picture of the way that the water at the top of the tank looks. I am not sure why it looks like that. I have a little opening in my tank where the light shines through, but I haven't sprayed air freshener or anything like that in the room. So I am not sure.

The film on the plants concerns me. I am worried they are dying. Any advice or ideas??

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 gallon Fluval Spec

Empty for now - going to get a betta after cycling.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A friend for your lonely guppy! - Fraoch   For your tank! lol - Northernguy   For always answering my 50,000 questions! =) - emilyekk   You need another guppy for yours - Owlbehere   Sorry about your little friend - Jaster   
    Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - emilyekk   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - emilyekk   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - emilyekk   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - emilyekk   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - emilyekk   

0 Not allowed!
    I just realized the film is kind of hard to see... if you zoom in on picture #1, the film is visible on the front plant, on the far bottom of the pic (the side pointing towards your keyboard). It looks like hair almost or lint... I really don't know what it is and I feel like the leaves of this plant are also in poor shape (parts are now see through). It's a crypt so I figured it was a good choice but now I am not sure what to do for it. :(
    2.6 gallon Fluval Spec

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    It looks like some kind of algae. Does it rub off?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    It looks like some kind of algae. Does it rub off?
    Honestly, the plant is looking so weak at this point I am scared to touch it and see for fear of destroying it.

Upon returning home tonight, it looked even worse. More weird film and the leaves are see through. The plants at the back of the tank still look fine so I really am confused. I was worried maybe my aquarium light is too weak so today I let a partial bit of sunlight shine through to the tank but perhaps that made the problem worse??? I am included more pictures that hopefully are a higher quality.

Please help! I just got back into the hobby and am already feeling like a total failure.

IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    2.6 gallon Fluval Spec

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't like saying this but that plant is indeed in trouble and dying in bits. Syphon away the fungus now before it becomes a problem for the rest of that tiny tank

If this is in the fluval spec then light is not the issue, that comes with a decent enough lihght. Also lack of light doesn't progress this rapidly.
    I suspect this plant was grown out of water, like most plants, and has a difficult time adjusting. The bottom pic does show fresh growth all the way in front. If that continues then it will be fine in a few weeks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with dutchie - crytocoryne species often melt when upset (even a little bit) but I'm sure it will soon bounce back. Don't disturb the plant too much but try to remove any completely melted parts with some sharp scissors.

The film on the water surface is proteins and fats released from the melting plants. Skim it off regularly or use a paper towel to lift it from the surface. Leaving it to build up will inhibit gaseous exchange at the water surface. Stay on top of it and it's nothing to worry about.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Hard to tell for sure but looks a little like hair algae. I had a bit of hair algae one time when I switched to a dry fert. It was easy to remove with tweezers and I just stopped the ferts and it didn't return. But my plants were in a healthier state than this one seems to be. But don't toss the plant. See if you can remove whatever it is and give the plant some time to recover.