· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good job on your stocking situation! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the input - Slaphppy7   

Cool Making of my new 370G freshwater tank

2 Not allowed!
    Hi All..

Finally the construction of my new 370 G tank has been started.. I sold of my 6 feet tank and preserved all the existing filters and filter media in tank water in a bucket with a air-stone.

The dimensions are : 8 feet x 2.5 feet x 2.5 feet

Glass - 12mm tough-end glass

The base has been completed - Made of bricks pillars and concrete and iron lenter, on the ground floor of my home. Base dimensions are 9 feet x 3 x3. with wooden doors under the base cabinet. Over it granite marble has been fixed to give it a beautiful look.
    PICS COMING SOON...

Questions:
    1.) Can I use internal filters in such a huge aquarium or only canister filter will work in it? I have a canister that I was using in my 6 feet tank, I tend to use the same canister filter along with 2 internal filters. Please advise...

2.) Do I need to install a sump or things will work without the sump tank?

3.) DO i need to do a fish-less cycle or my existing filters and its media that i preserved from my old tank will work?

4.) I have 2 Oscars what other fishes can i keep with Oscars.. I am looking for some big fishes only (Arowana, Giant Gaurami, Pacu etc.) Please advise...

Thanks
    Bhupesh

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhupeshkhanna View Post
    Hi All..

Finally the construction of my new 370 G tank has been started.. I sold of my 6 feet tank and preserved all the existing filters and filter media in tank water in a bucket with a air-stone.

The dimensions are : 8 feet x 2.5 feet x 2.5 feet

Glass - 12mm tough-end glass

The base has been completed - Made of bricks pillars and concrete and iron lenter, on the ground floor of my home. Base dimensions are 9 feet x 3 x3. with wooden doors under the base cabinet. Over it granite marble has been fixed to give it a beautiful look.
    PICS COMING SOON...

Questions:
    1.) Can I use internal filters in such a huge aquarium or only canister filter will work in it? I have a canister that I was using in my 6 feet tank, I tend to use the same canister filter along with 2 internal filters. Please advise...
    yes but need more filtration like adding another canister.
    2.) Do I need to install a sump or things will work without the sump tank?

3.) DO i need to do a fish-less cycle or my existing filters and its media that i preserved from my old tank will work?
    how long will you be out of a tank? if filter media is away from fish you will need to add ammonia to keep beneficial bacteria alive
    4.) I have 2 Oscars what other fishes can i keep with Oscars.. I am looking for some big fishes only (Arowana, Giant Gaurami, Pacu etc.) Please advise...

Thanks
    Bhupesh
    some answers in blue, and other can answer other questions.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    I have no advice for you--55g is the biggest I've ever managed--but WOW, you are in for a lot of work, a lot of fun, and a lot of possibilities. Good luck!
    Friends don't let friends use clown-puke gravel.
    www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Impressive. I would suggest a sump for a tank this large. You get a large amount of filtration that will be necessary for the fish you want. You're looking at a turn over greater than 700 gallons per hour. A sump will be much cheaper than internal or canister filters to match this rate.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good job on your stocking situation! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the input - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The base is ready, here is the picture of the base that's ready for the aquarium to be placed on it..Can't wait now.. however have to wait until the aquarium gets ready...

IMG_7579.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Get well soon - frank_zappa   good start on your tank - SeaLady   Enjoy your new plants! - AABatteries   

2 Not allowed!
    Never done anything that big or dealt with a sump, so I really cant answer those questions. However, might I say, WOW. That is gunna be a huge tank, and it sounds like it'll be a joy. I REALLY like that stand by the way. The granite certainly gives it a lovely look. Is that already a fishtank on the top of it? Sorry, i'm kind of a snoop.. haha :p
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTexanGuy View Post
    I REALLY like that stand by the way. The granite certainly gives it a lovely look. Is that already a fishtank on the top of it? Sorry, i'm kind of a snoop.. haha :p
    Thanks for your like.. :) :) . Yes, there is 135 G on top of it for the time being until my new monster tank is under construction...

I had 2 tanks - 135 G and 200 G, sold of 200 G and left with 135 G now.. Will take this off to my first floor living room once the new 370G will be ready to be placed on this base.
    :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I really need some advise on fishes to be kept into my new tank.. A pair of Oscar is in for sure, what can be the other fishes i can keep with Oscars but those has to be big fishes.. I am thinking of Arowana, Giant Gaurami, severum and Pacu along with 4 Silver dollars.

Please advise...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Get well soon - frank_zappa   good start on your tank - SeaLady   Enjoy your new plants! - AABatteries   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your like.. :) :) . Yes, there is 135 G on top of it for the time being until my new monster tank is under construction...

I had 2 tanks - 135 G and 200 G, sold of 200 G and left with 135 G now.. Will take this off to my first floor living room once the new 370G will be ready to be placed on this base.
    :)
    Ah, so you're no stranger to the big tanks! haha. I hope someone here can help you with stocking. I'm not sure who would be the resident big-fish guy/girl, but you will probably have a couple responses tmrw. Keep in mind, its a Sunday, and theirs a lot of football fans that are probably glued to their TV's haha XD
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

They didn't have a Gudgeon. Have a Sea Cow - Compass   Have a cory for your future tank! - steeler58   Have another Cory! - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep :) - steeler58   everyone needs one of them - cm12setx   

0 Not allowed!
    I really need some advise on fishes to be kept into my new tank.. A pair of Oscar is in for sure, what can be the other fishes i can keep with Oscars but those has to be big fishes.. I am thinking of Arowana, Giant Gaurami, severum and Pacu along with 4 Silver dollars.

Please advise...
    A pair of oscars is a great addition, you could have about 6 of more silver dollars, just make sure they are large enough to be compatible with the rest of your fish.
    You could keep an Arowana til it reaches 2 feet, but that would take plenty of time to be able to profit off of it and get another, that is unless you want a massive monster terrorizing your tank and potentially killing most of your fish, because as big as 8 feet is, it's not safe to keep other fish with something as big and active as a 2+ foot Arowana.
    For the giant gourami, they are safe to keep in a 200 gallon tank, but think about what else you want to keep. 2 Oscars, an Arowana, Silver Dollars, pacu, and Severums. Would a giant gourami be happy with that many large and aggressive fish?
    Severums should be fine from what I have read, and someone else would have to advise you on whether or not to do pacu.

One nice addition would be one red tailed shark, and make sure it is a decent size so it doesn't get devoured by your oscars. They are very tough and interesting fish that do pretty well in an aggressive community.
    Clown loaches get very big(12-16"), it just takes time or a great amount of money if you want to buy them at a large size. You could keep a group of 6.
    Definitely have one or two plecos, because you can't go wrong with these, the kind is up to you.

If you decide on the plecos or loaches, make sure the bottom of your tank is full of caves and territory. You will need this anyways because fish just need places to hide.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast