· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Unsure of suitable cichlids for my aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    I have an aquarium with measurements 39"L x 24"H x 18"W. I was wondering which cichlids would be suitable for my aquarium In terms of the size they grow to and compatibility with my current stock . At the moment my current stock is 2 x Thorichthys meeki, 1 x Thorichthys ellioti, 3 x Balantiocheilus melanopterus (Which I discovered after purchasing will grow too big for my aquarium. I do plan to rehome them in the near future), 1 x Synodontis euptera and 1 x Polypterus senegalus. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    So, if I remember my scientific names correctly (and I'm not 100% sure that I am), you have in your 70(ish) gallon tank:
    2 - firemouths
    1 - spot cheek
    3 - bala sharks
    1 - Synodontis cat fish
    1 - Senegal bichir

I would suggest to also rehome the bichir as he will also outgrow your tank.

Once you have those 4 fish rehomed, you could consider a small school (around 8 or so) of Odessa Barb (Puntius sp.) or Rosy Barb, Male (Puntius conchonius). I think the barbs would be a better if with those fish you are planning to keep and still add some nice color and activity to your tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, not much room for any type of cichlids with two firemouths already.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

1 Not allowed!
    As you already know, your tank is too small for bala sharks, and as Cliff recommends, also the bichir (which grows very large indeed). I'd also rethink the catfish as this can get pretty substantial in size and I do not think your tank is big enough. If you can rehome the catfish, bichir, and bala sharks, you could look at some bristlenose plecos which may be of interest. They stay small and will suit your tank size.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice everybody. Based on what you have all said I plan to rehome the synodontis and the bichir along with the bala sharks this weekend if I get chance to do so. What other fish would be compatible with the cichlids I have? Are there any other cichlids that could live alongside them without too much aggression or am I very limited? What kinds of fish are fine with them and around them?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Angelfish would probably mix, their body shape is so different that other cichlids don't usually see them as direct competition. Otherwise, schooling fish like tetras or barbs would be a good bet.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    Angelfish would probably mix, their body shape is so different that other cichlids don't usually see them as direct competition. Otherwise, schooling fish like tetras or barbs would be a good bet.
    I personally wouldn't keep angelfish with the powerful cichlids you already have.

Some tetra species could work, as could some barbs - but this is a limited selection of the largest species. Be cautious about this. You do not want to add a load of neon tetra or they will very quickly become snacks.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah adding neons wouldn't be the best idea lol. I was thinking maybe adding some silver dollars or tigers barbs in with them? Would they be able to coexist with the cichlids?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    Tiger barbs could work but the tank isn't big enough for silver dollars.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ah ok. Well that's them ruled out then. What do you mean by tiger barbs could work? What are the chances of me having problems with them? I know they can be aggressive and like to nip fins.