· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default shebunkin losing all pigment

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a new shebunkin at the beginning of summer. Primarily white with some red spots mainly on top of body. I just noticed in the last 2-3 weeks it was losing pigment.....now she looks transparent with pink insides coloring her. I have never had this happen to any of my fish. It seems healthy otherwise. Is this normal?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    It could be a lot of things

I would first suggest to check you water parameters. Many times, this could cause a loss of color in almost any fish

Is this fish out in a pond? If yes, maybe he is not getting enough direct sunlight. From what I have read, fish start loosing there natural colors when not exposed to enough light.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Can you get us a picture of your fish?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Pictures of pigment losing shebunkin

0 Not allowed!
    Here are 2 pictures of the fish I posted about a few days ago. The other 2 fish have not changed. You may see a black net in the photo which I just put over the pond 2 days ago because the trees are about to drop tons of leaves. The fish started losing pigment at least 2 months ago (family emergency in June so it might have been sooner)

pond2.jpg pond1.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Same fish that you were talking about in the below thread ?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=119223
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. It acts normal and is eating normally otherwise

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I have merged your two threads about the same fish together into one thread.

This will make it less confusing for other members who are trying to help

Have you tested your water parameters ? Also, how much light does this pond get and how big is this pond ?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you very much for merging the posts....I could not figure out how to do it myself. I will have to get back with you on the water testing....I took my kit over to my best friends house to test her son's water and forgot it. I do have those dipsticks which show the pond water to be fine (the same it has always been since I got in over 10 years ago) but the dipsticks are not as accurate as the test kit. The pond is about 4 x 6 feet and about 2 feet deep. I've always had 3-4 fish in it. The only problem I ever had that I can remember is several years ago when a snapping turtle got in it. I've had the red comets for about 3-4 years. I got the new shebunkin at the beginning of summer when it was white with a few red spots along the top. The pond is partly shaded and partly sunny.....sunny enough to still have algae. I've been thinking about it more and remember seeing a "lump" on the fish a few weeks ago where one of the red spots were. I remember thinking it couldn't be a parasite because it was the same color as the scales. The "growth" is gone now and so is the pigment. Sorry I didn't remember this earlier as it probably helps but I had a sudden death in my family and haven't really paid a lot of attention to them and the memory kind of went for awhile.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for the rep - mommy1   You need some of these. - mommy1   One more for your AC tank. - mommy1   You are an amazing young man!  Keep up the good work. - mommy1   Bravo! - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by flowergardener View Post
    Thank you very much for merging the posts....I could not figure out how to do it myself.
    i do not think that it is possible to do it yourself. I think that it is an administrative tool that only moderators and administrators have access to.
    When you have a 12-inch bowl and a fish that gets up to 15 inches, it's obviously not going to fit.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I am no expert with goldfish but when I got into the hobby it was because I had to take down my pond with some goldfish in it, so here what I think maybe happening, so when the water gets cooler, some fish lose color, some gain color, but this is a goldfish they can stand freezing temps, so I don't think that is it, see how it is pinkish, a lot of the time with my fish when I do a teacake, they all turn a whit or pink color, and it is from stress, which I am think maybe something took up residence in the pond and it is stressing the fish, and the particular fish losing color could have bad slime coating, bad genes or something and they could get stressed easily, so in turn they could be getting stressed while others aren't, I have no clue what could be in there whether it be a water snake to a parasite I have no clue but above is just what I think MAYBE be happening.