· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Exclamation HELP-Rhino Pleco not doing well

0 Not allowed!
    Hello! - New - and of course, here because of a problem. I have a 55 Gal Tank - did a 30% water change 3 days ago- next day, 1 catfish wasn't doing well so I got the water tested at the store and they said PH too low- so I add a tsp of PhUp- and next day- catfish#1 died. Check PH level- still not up - so add another tsp of PHup last night- catfish #2 has died and rest of the fish- gouramis are fine- Plecos seemed fine until this morning - the large rhino pleco - I'm afraid is next unless I can get the tank fixed!!! He was trying to suck on the glass and couldn't get suction - then fell over on the gravel upside down ... he is now attached to glass down low ... but still worried- Any ideas on what I can do?? HELP!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    You should do your own testing...ph levels are best left alone most of the time

How "low" did the LFS say your ph was?

How long has this tank been set up?...what are your other water parameter readings?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

3 Not allowed!
    Getting a freshwater API test kit is probably one of the best investments you will ever make in this hobby. You can get much more accurate tests in a shorter amount of time. PH should not be changed unless you have a really good idea of what is going on. Phup and PHdown really do not work well for this as they can not keep the PH where you are trying to get it. Also, your fish are more likely to suffer from a swing in the ph than a stable ph that is either too low or too high. You said this happened after a water change. Did you remember to put conditioner in your new water?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1   Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1   lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    PH is the last thing to worry about, unless you were adding water significantly different to the tank than what the tank was at, it did not cause the issue. You need to start with Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate readings.

If Ammonia, or Nitrite is above 0 ppm then you need to water change sufficiently to reduce those to 0 ppm.
    If Nitrates are above 20, water change to dilute that to below 20.

My other concern would be if you did not treat your tank for chlorine/chloramine when you did your water change? I mention this one because you said you first had the issue right after a water change.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eneventure View Post
    - Any ideas on what I can do?? HELP!
    Sharing where in the world you are and something about your water source wowuld help.

1. Stop messing with ph affecting products!
    2. Sounds to me like your source water might be contaminated. I'd add a extra good dash of conditioner to it. Does it smell or taste different when you drink it?

pH too low is hardly ever the cause of serious issues with south american fish like yours. The rhino is from the upper reaches in Peru. When the rain hits that pH can drop from 7.5 or even 8 to 6 and a bit in 12 hours.