· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

Default Preventive medicines during quarantine

1 Not allowed!
    So, I am hopefully very close to cycling my first aquarium, and adding fish shortly thereafter. I have been reading a lot about quarantine tanks, and it's time to start shopping for preventive medications for quarantine, so I have a question.

I read the quarantine article in the stickies, which recommends combining Prazipro and Metro as preventive treatments. If I understand these medications correctly, together they should treat any external and internal parasites that may have arrived with the new fish, including Ich. My question is whether preventive treatments of fungi or bacteria are also needed and, if so, which medications are best for this. In my case I plan to have no shrimp or snails in my tank (I know some medications are not compatible with snails or shrimp).

If preventive treatments for bacteria and fungi are NOT used, why not?

Finally, in addition to Metro and Prazipro, what other basic medications should I have on hand for emergencies?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Good question...I know Paragaurd is another med that is mentioned alot
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    If there is nothing obviously wrong, and there shouldn't be with new fish, there is no reason to medicate. The exception is, it is a good idea to "deworm" wild caught fish with the two medications you listed, or at least with PraziPro.

With that said, it is a good idea to have antibacterial, antifungal, and ich medications on hand just in case they are needed later.

Using medication as preventative can needlessly stress fish and is more likely to be a waste of medicine and money than helpful to the fish.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

3 Not allowed!
    I agree with the above. Prazipro and Metro would be good. Everything else I'd keep on hand just in case. Things like Ich and fungal infections are easy to spot and can be treated very easily if caught in a timely manner.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    And what are good antifungal, antibacterial, anti ich meds? There seem to be many of each, and they are all different! Hard to tell what the differences are. What us a good broad spectrum antibacterial and a good antifungal to keep just in case? What do people here generally use?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

3 Not allowed!
    I have API Fungal cure. Good stuff. quICK cure is good one for Ich. Paraguard is a good one for bacterial and fungal.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Got it -- thanks! I will get them while my tank is cycling.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1   Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1   lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    In regards to bacterial medications, the thing to note is that bacteria come in two strains, gram negative and gram positive. (The long and short of this is that differing bacteria have differing outer layers) Look for medications that treat both (generally this means two meds, one for each kind).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

1 Not allowed!
    For farmed fish I'm not too sure about throwing too many chemicals at them. Especially the asian fish farms already use so much that anything those fish carry will be resistent.

Also, if you stock at once and use the same store for the initial stock there's a good chance that if one fish has something the others are contaminated.

Having said that, deworming wild caught fish is highly recommended. Trick is finding out if they are wild or not. I'd also advice any newbie to have at the very least a proper ich medication at hand and for US based fishkeepers an anti-fungal.
    Which reminds me that I need to order more catappa leaf.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    I'd also advice any newbie to have at the very least a proper ich medication at hand and for US based fishkeepers an anti-fungal.
    I'm definitely in that "newbie" category. Any specific medications you might recommend for ich or antifungal?