· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Christmas Clownfish,  Enjoy the holidays - Cliff   Happy New Year!  Pop a cork for me :o) - fishmommie   Merry Christmas! Hope you and your family are well. - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cm12setx   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

Default Starting my new Canister/Fluid Sand Filter System the right way???

0 Not allowed!
    Supposed to be able to start my new Canister Filter System tonight if I get the pump! I have 2 HOB Filters I need to remove to put my 2 outlets on the back of the tank instead. On the outlets is it better to put them above the water or just into it? I hoped they would roll the water long ways into the tank for the 4 ft drilled intake on the bottom below them to pull waste into the filter.

The filter is all new and wondering what to do next? Do I take the old filter pads and ring them out into the new canister to start the Bio or do I put it into the 2 Fluid Sand Filters which are going to be the Bio Filter. Having said that do I put some in all 3 instead?? Do I change 75% of my water to start with or leave it alone and let it be filtered into the new system to help Bio? Just want to do it right to start off the new filter which will change the water about 6-7 times a hour. Thanks, Mark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Christmas Clownfish,  Enjoy the holidays - Cliff   Happy New Year!  Pop a cork for me :o) - fishmommie   Merry Christmas! Hope you and your family are well. - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cm12setx   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Confusing to me if this information is the same thing for a new filter or only a new tank? So now I think the old dirty rocks etc may help cause of the good bacteria in them? Putting the old filter pads in my new system? Change out only a little of the water and test the heck out of it? Boy it sure was easy when I did not know anything about filters! Mark

Copied information I was reading:

If you are changing aquariums then you can use existing biological media from the filter that is running on the old tank, this biological media will already have healthy bacteria living on it. Obviously it very much depends on how much media you have at your disposal, but even a small amount will be enough to jumpstart the new filtration system. When we take existing media from an old filter to add to a new, we call this "seedling" the new filter. Just remember to keep the old media wet while you are changing aquariums. If the process of changing aquariums is going to take a while then you could help your beneficial bacteria by placing an air stone in with the media, this will oxygenate the bacteria and help keep them alive and healthy. If you are starting from scratch with a completely new aquarium filtration system then the whole process of cycling will take several weeks to complete if you are using fish as a source of ammonia. Cycling your tank using liquid ammonia can cut this period down considerably to just two or three weeks.

Some people like to use existing tank water, substrate, rocks and decor to help seed the new tank. Even though there won't be an enormous amount of bacteria present in the water and substrate, there will be some and every little bit counts.

You can use any freshwater tropical fish you like to cycle and aquarium, as long as you have a source of ammonia, the cycling process will be the same. However, you have got to remember that during the cycling process, the fish will be put under a lot of stress due to the amount of ammonia they will be exposed to. Therefore do not use Oscars to cycle your aquarium as you could damage their immune system. Even though they may survive the cycling, they could start running into health problems later on in life. It sounds a little bit mercenary but you are better off using fish that you are not going to keep long-term. You can use such fish as Danios, Barbs, Tetras, Guppies, Convicts, Plecos, Mollies, Firemouths. These are just a few that I know our members have used successfully. However, everybody will tell you that if you can get hold of some pre-seeded media then you will definitely aid the cycling process. Just be aware that you will be exposing these fish to high levels of ammonia so don't get too upset if you do have a few fatalities. I better mention goldfish while we are talking about what fish to use for cycling. There is a little bit of controversy to whether or not goldfish should be used to cycle a tropical aquarium. Some people suggest that because they are cold water they shouldn't be used. Other people are worried that because goldfish are produced in massive numbers, they can often harvest disease which can be passed onto your new aquarium. Having said this, some of our members have successfully cycled their tank using goldfish so that is something for you to consider. All I would say is that if you are going to use goldfish, source them from a reputable shop that can guarantee they are disease-free and healthy.

One important thing to remember is you will need some water quality testing kits that you will need to use every couple of days during the cycling process. Either this or get your local fish store to test your water for you. My advice would be to learn how to test the water yourself, it's very easy and isn't complicated at all. Knowing how to test your aquarium water yourself is really very important if you are serious about keeping tropical fish, especially Oscar fish.

If you are cycling a large aquarium then you may find it takes a day or two, maybe longer before the ammonia rises to a level that water changes need to be carried out. To be perfectly honest with you, it's very difficult for me to predict exactly when the ammonia in your particular tank rises to a level that the water will need to be changed.

If the ammonia is under 0.25 then you are okay. If it's between 0.25 & 0.5 then carry out a sizable water change, I would say no more than 50%. If your ammonia is very high, 1.0 and above, carry out a very large water change, 75%, 80%. Many people do a water test directly after the water change. Sometimes you can get false readings doing it this way so always carry out your water tests before your water change. It's not worth panicking about, your water change should remove the ammonia so don't worry.

I'm not going to commit myself and say how long it will be before ammonia returns to zero so don't worry yourself if the ammonia remains present for a while. At some stage you will test your water and the ammonia will be 0. Then if everything runs smoothly, you will notice an increase in your nitrite level. Once again, your nitrite will eventually drop down to 0. you will eventually start seeing a nitrate reading. It may be a case that nitrate becomes present at a much earlier stage, however concentrate on your ammonia and nitrite until they remain stable at zero. Nitrate is a byproduct of ammonia and nitrite and is not toxic like ammonia or nitrite. Once your ammonia and nitrite are zero, you have established a biological filter and your tank is cycled. The whole process could take six or seven weeks so be patient. Try not to panic during the cycling process if one day your ammonia is higher than the previous day, if you just carry on monitoring the ammonia and nitrite and do water changes accordingly, eventually the bacteria in your filtration will buildup to the extent that you will not have any ammonia or nitrite present, but you have to remember it will take several weeks if you are just using a few small community fish, so be patient. Do not clean your filters during the cycling process, unless you have some very fine polishing pads that get clogged up very quickly.

When your aquarium is showing signs of being fully cycled, i.e. ammonia and nitrite are reading 0, and you have a decent amount of nitrate being produced, you can then start adding your fish. One important thing to remember is that a newly cycled tank will not be completely stable. Don't be tempted to go out and buy a tank full of fish straightaway. Introduce fish gradually and let your biological filter catch up with the bio load that the fish produce. You're much better off doing it gradually than risking running into problems by adding too much too quickly.

Cycling an aquarium can be both lengthy and frustrating at the best of times. If you are doing it for the first time then you may well be pulling your hair out after the first two or three weeks. The best advice I can give you is just stick with it and follow our instructions, eventually all will come good, I guarantee it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    You have two hob filters and the new one. Remove one of the hob. Let the other run with the new for a month. Take the media if you can put into new filter temp or can you fit any into old hob keeping on the tank. And i should have asked what brand of filter are the hob?
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The HOB Filters are "Aqua-Tech 30-60" and I could put the pads right in the new filter on the outside of the cartridge. I did get my pump tonight so I can install it tomorrow. I ran the new pump and boy is it quite, quitter then the 2 Aqua-Tech's running.
    Last edited by Plecos; 09-05-2014 at 04:05 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I think that would work just fine.
    Fishes go "pook pook"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Filter System has been running for 4 hours now and the tank is getting clearer! The 2 outlet nozzles put out a lot of water and blow it 5-6 inches straite out the tip 1/4" thick and 4" wide so I put them in the water. If I don't they realey wave up the water top. I have a plastic plant in the tank and you can see it rolling around from top to bottom. The Pleco seems to be enjoying the flow and is laying near the intake pipe. The 2 Big Gold Fish are swimming around also enjoying the flow of water.

The filter tank cartridge is changing colors some from the poop. I tried to vacume with the pump attachment that taps off the suction but it pulls so hard it picks gravel off the bottom. I have a new 2 ft long by 2" dia suction pipe and will put a screen to stop any from getting to the pump. I have a valve on this hose and can throttle it down. Checked levels in the tank with the strips and they are better and OK. Still waiting for the good liquid tester to get here. All in all it is working great and I will let it run and keep testing the water. The flow is way to fast for sand in the two small canisters so I put the BIO Filters from the old filters in there. Most of the sand blew into the tank when I started the pump and had to stop it. I just removed the sand for now. I can re/do the flow to them at a later date if needed. Nice part is I can clean these easily but there staying clear with the pre-filtered water going to them. I am hoping the good bio will build up in them? I might have to regulate the flow to these 2 canisters and use a separate outlet for them so I can still have good flow thru the big filter.

The 100PX pump with water flowing is real quite! Much nicer then the 2-Aqua-Tech 30-60 Filters. I was worried it would be loud since it moves 780 GPH of water free flow and can pump to 21 ft of head at shut off. I did bolt it down to a rubber pad which is also bolted to a shelf next to the tank.
    Last edited by Plecos; 09-05-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    A littel fine tuning and you will be all set.
    Fishes go "pook pook"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Went to the County Fair and when I came home I noticed bubbles coming out of my outlets?? Looked all over for leaks and noticed my air bubbler got next to my suction intake and indused air into the filter system. Move the bubbler away and let the air out of the small canisters and then saw air in my big one. So I unscrewed the bleeder fitting and of course it blew out of my hand and went out of reach!! I had to plug the hole with my finger and could not turn off the pump!!!!

Yelled for the wife had to tell her how to turn it off and hand me the fitting to plug the hole in the top of the filter. Of course I got wet the floor got wet and I will turn the air off for the night and fix that problem tomorrow. Just another little glitch in the system to work out. The water is starting to look nice!
    Last edited by Plecos; 09-06-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    First real test of the new filter. The water is clear now! Ammonia is .0 PPM, Nitrite is .0 PPM and the Nitrate is .20 PPM and still checking it with the new proper Test Kit I got today! I figure I will test it daily for a week and see how it goes. Still tring to get the drift wood to sink in the tank outside. Real close only takes a little weight to make it sink. Thinking of drilling it out for a section of 3/4" Stainless Steel Rod to go inside it for weight. Either that or a chunk of slate screwed to the bottom with stainless steel screws and put gravel around it. Needs to be solid on the bottom so the Pleco does not move it around. I ordered some suction cups to hold the air lines in place along with the suction intake pipe for the filter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just a catch up on the filter system. I have cleaned it twice to see how easy it is to work with. All I have to do is hook a 10 ft garden hose to the Canister Tank and stick it out the window. I close the valve to the 2 smaller canisters for BIO and turn off the suction valve to the pump. Open the valve the hose hooks to and let air inside the big canister so it will drain. Remove top off of canister and pull out the filter cartridge. Rinse it in the sink with well water and dump a couple quarts of water in the empty canister to rinse it out. Put the cartridge back in put the top back on. Then I just turn on the pump open the bleeder valve till it is full and open the valve to the tank inlets. I'm Done! This just takes a few miniutes to do. Since the BIO Filters are in 2 canisters I can clean them out one at a time while they are in By/Pass and the main filter is still running. Makes it nice to not lose both BIOs when you rinse them.

Now water change I just hook the garden hose to the same valve for draining, stick it out the window and open the valve while the pump runs. I put the BIO Filters in By/Pass and the tank drops to 1/2 in just a couple mins. Hook my home made fill hose at the sink and hang it on the tank edge since it has a drop hard line on the end. After I adjust the temp I just wait till it is full again and open the By/Pass valve on the BIO Filters and shut the water off at the sink and roll up the hose. All this takes about 15 mins cause the sink flow is way slower then the pump in moving water. When I am done tweeking the hoses and finishing the inside of the tank I will enclose the system on the back for a better view. The small hose that is taped off the one going to the pump is my Vacume Line for cleaning the bottom of the tank.
    Here is a picture of the Filter System. The BIO Pads are the old filter pads till I put the new larger ones in the 2 small canisters. Mark