· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Need suggestions of fish species that can be kept at room temperature

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys :)

(Sorry if this has been covered already, I've had a look but can't find any substantial lists).

I work part time in a pet shop with a small fish section. We have a lot of customers coming in with small tanks below 100 litres, which they want to keep as 'coldwater' (ie, room temperature/temperate). I always try to dissuade people from buying goldfish (due to them outgrowing tanks this size) but many customers come in with goldfish in mind and are disappointed to hear this. To make it easier I want to change our coldwater section to include more options as alternatives to goldfish.

So far my list includes:
    golden barbs
    mountain minnows
    danios
    rosy barbs
    peppered corydoras
    bristlenose plecos
    hillstream loaches
    zodiac loaches

and I've also heard platys can be kept at room temperature, is this true? Any further suggestions/comments on the list above would be appreciated :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

1 Not allowed!
    For the size of the tank you are looking at, the gold barbs and rosy barbs are out. They really need to be in shoals and they get too large for < 100 litres. I would suggest rubberlip/bulldog plecos instead of bristlenose plecos. Hillstream loaches yes, but they need a lot of algae in the tank to do well and do like to have a strong current in the water. Props to you for dissuading people from buying goldfish!
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Room temperatures can vary greatly
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas &amp; Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!
    Pending confirmation from more knowledgeable people, I believe You can add Endler livebearers to that list. Small fish that are well suited to room temperature, smaller tanks. They do well in a wide range of temperatures, but in colder water they grow less (which makes them even more suitable for a smaller tank) and live longer. In ideal conditions they prefer a planted roomy tank (20 gallons/75 liters is plenty) but might also do well in smaller aquariums down to about 40 liters or so. Hardy, active, peaceful fish, and the males are very colorful. As a bonus, reproduce extremely easily.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    Pending confirmation from more knowledgeable people, I believe You can add Endler livebearers to that list. Small fish that are well suited to room temperature, smaller tanks. They do well in a wide range of temperatures, but in colder water they grow less (which makes them even more suitable for a smaller tank) and live longer. In ideal conditions they prefer a planted roomy tank (20 gallons/75 liters is plenty) but might also do well in smaller aquariums down to about 40 liters or so. Hardy, active, peaceful fish, and the males are very colorful. As a bonus, reproduce extremely easily.
    I don't think Matt would agree that the "reproducing extremely easily" is a bonus. HAHAHHA
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I don't think Matt would agree that the "reproducing extremely easily" is a bonus. HAHAHHA
    I spell it C-U-R-S-E

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas &amp; Happy New Year! - Plecos   

3 Not allowed!
    ROFL... Matt, maybe you need a TV in your bedroom! Oh... wait, you are talking about your fish?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, I AM trying to figure out a way to set up the 10G in there...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I noticed guppys are not here
    But you said livebearers soooooo
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

0 Not allowed!
    Bitterlings are a nice-looking coldwater fish, but they do get 4" so 100 liters might be a bit small. My local fish store in Minnesota carries them, and they look great in a school.