· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with the glass lid! - Slaphppy7   An angel to watch over your sick angel - fishmommie   For luck with your angels - Slaphppy7   

Default Planted tank startup questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone. I'm looking into maybe switching over from artificial plants in my 38g, to live plants. I've never done a planted tank before though so I do have a lot of questions. I know plants tend to need nitrates, so will the water changing schedule have to change? Also, I'm not really sure where the best place to buy plants is, as my LFS doesn't have a huge selection. I've seen a lot of people also trimming some of their plants, does this have to be done with all plants, or just some of them? Right now I'm using an Aqueon 50 Quietflow filter, and the lighting isn't designed for plants so I'm assuming I'll need to change the bulb. Any advice at all will help. Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    We would need more information about your lighting and substrate to give some better advice, but typically you biggest limiting factor is the light fixture it's self.

You could always start off with some very easy low light plants, such as java moss and/or java fern. If you LFS doesn't have the plants you are looking for, see if there is a local aquarium club / society near you as many people give away or sell their plants clippings on a regular basis.

The below thread can offer suggestions for some easy to care for plants

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=4074
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with the glass lid! - Slaphppy7   An angel to watch over your sick angel - fishmommie   For luck with your angels - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The substrate is a smaller gravel, and right now I'm using an 18" Aqueon Full Spectrum daylight bulb 17w.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    That lighting would be adequate for the above mentioned java moss and java fern. You can also do a few of the cryptocoryne species. I have undulata and wendtii in mine and those are usually common enough plants to find. You asked about trimming, it depends on what you get. You get something like anacharis that likes to just take over a tank then yes, you'll have to trim it. But get something like an anubais and you will probably never trim it unless you wanted to propagate it. You will not need to change your water change schedule for these plants either. If you want an easy online way to get plans then PM our member Triton (if you live in the United States that is). He sells a good selection of plants and can help you decide which ones are best for your set up.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.