· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with the glass lid! - Slaphppy7   An angel to watch over your sick angel - fishmommie   For luck with your angels - Slaphppy7   

Default Goldfish startup help

0 Not allowed!
    One of my neighbors is looking into starting up a goldfish tank, but she's never owned them so she wasn't sure where to start. She came to me to ask for advice but I as well have never owned goldfish before. I referred her to this site and hopefully she'll join, but until then, I told her I would ask you guys for help. She wants to know how big of a tank she should get (wants to have two fish, one for each kid), and if they're compatible with any other fish. Is there any hardcore maintenance for them? Thanks everyone

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

1 Not allowed!
    Well, first of all I would recommend purchasing the largest possible tank she can afford / has room for. THEN decide on the fish. Most beginners think "goldfish" and "small starter tank". These two are not compatible.

The smallest variety of fancy goldfish, as a pair, would need at least 30-40 gallons and a robust filter that is rated for AT LEAST twice the size of the tank (so you're looking for a filter that is marked up as being suitable for 60-80 gallons+). Warn your friend away from the typical pet shop starter kits for goldfish (often sold with a photo of a common goldfish on the box). They are not suitable for fish that can reach more than a foot in length (and girth).

The larger the filter the easier it is to maintain. It will be more reliable too - i.e. it won't get clogged so quickly. I have a large external filter on my tank. The intake pipe is fitted with a large pre-filter sponge that I rinse out thoroughly every week. I'm being totally honest here when I say that I opened it last weekend for the first time in nine months for a clean. The major part of my maintenance is large water changes and pre-filter swilling (not filter cleaning). Not a lot else.

Does she definitely want goldfish? They are messy fish that aren't the best introduction to fish-keeping in my opinion. How about white cloud moutain minnows? They are smaller and pretty hardy.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to knightia post.
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    "What will they write upon my grave
    A free man born as a king, who died as a slave" -Logic

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    goldfish are not too difficult as long as you give them enough space - they are pretty big compared to most aquarium fish.
    Tell your neighbor to stick with fancy goldfish. the comets, commons and shubunkins will probably need a tank of 100 gallons or more due to their greater size and activity levels.
    Even within fancy goldfish, not all breeds can be kept together. some like the pearlscale or bubble-eye are just so disadvantaged even other fancies will likely outcompete them for food.
    As for tank size, I would say 40 gallons for the initial fish and then 10 gallons for every one thereafter. Make sure their food contains a good portion of vegetable matter. goldfish are omnivores.

Goldfish aren't fussy with water parameters (although they prefer hard and alkaline water). Many people say they should be kept in cool water but in reality they are eurythermal, meaning that they can thrive in a wide variety of temperatures (18C-25C or 65F-78F is a good range). a good water change regime is a must though as they can become quite large fish with proportionate waste output.

EDIT: ergh, ninja'd by two people.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with the glass lid! - Slaphppy7   An angel to watch over your sick angel - fishmommie   For luck with your angels - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure if she's stuck on goldfish or not, I'll have to get all this info to her and see what she thinks. Hopefully she'll join the site within a few days so she can get more of the info she's looking for.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Get well soon - frank_zappa   good start on your tank - SeaLady   Enjoy your new plants! - AABatteries   

0 Not allowed!
    Just keep in mind with her that goldfish dont have stomachs, so they tend to create a lot more waste than other fish. If your filter is too small, its gunna create a lot of ammonia buildup/tank problems. I really wouldnt recommend goldfish for anything other than a pond, but if she must do a tank than I would agree with others that 40 gallons is a minimum. Maybe encourage her to take a trip to a fish store so she can see the different types offered by your lfs, and she might change her mind on that. lol
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.