· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Default Java moss not thriving

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, all.

The Java moss in my Asian 55g is in limbo. It is green, but not bright green; surviving but not growing. It is attached to sandstone. Water parameters are medium; 0 nitrite, near 0 nitrate. I have quite a bit of algae growing in the tank, if that helps. Light is a Current USA Satellite LED+, 48" fixture, on 10 hours/day. There are floating dwarf water lettuce over the moss which I try to keep fairly thinned out.

Tank is rather understocked at the moment: 1 red tail shark, a couple snails and amano shrimp, 2 dwarf gouramis, 10 pentazona barbs, and around 10 zebra danios. Could that be the problem?

Any ideas how to get this stuff growing again?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe the nutrient level is too low ?

I would suggest looking into dosing some ferts and see how that goes.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

1 Not allowed!
    What's the temperature? Mosses often struggle in overly warm tanks. If yours is 80F+ that may be your problem.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    The dwarf lettuce can diffuse light a bit too much, too
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    I keep it right around 75f. Never above 80. I'm reluctant to dose ferts, because I'm afraid it will exacerbate an already moderate algae problem. Thoughts?

T

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

2 Not allowed!
    Not sure - java moss is dead easy to grow.

I'd say 10 hours is too long a light period if you aren't dosing any ferts and have near zero nitrate. Algae will easily out-compete the plants. Reduce your lighting period to eight hours and dose some ferts. Algae is normally caused by too much light or an imbalance of light vs. CO2 in the water column vs. available nutrients. Finding the right balance (however low or high tech you want to go) is essential for good plant growth above that of your algae.

A small amount of algae in a tank isn't anything to worry about. Mine always has a bit of green algae and a few small patches of BBA that doesn't ever gain the upper hand.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    You too huh?
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, everybody says Java moss is easy, and crypts are hard...my cripts are growing like weeds (except parva, which I have never had any success with) while my moss languishes. Well, I've always been a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightia View Post
    Not sure - java moss is dead easy to grow.
    Algae is normally caused by too much light or an imbalance of light vs. CO2 in the water column vs. available nutrients. Finding the right balance (however low or high tech you want to go) is essential for good plant growth above that of your algae.
    The frustrating thing is that there seems to be no real rule about this; it's just a "fiddle with it until everything lines up." Of course, that's part of the fun, too. I actually was thinking about increasing the intensity of the light (this fixture is considered on the low side of medium for a 55g, and I'm pretty sure that's why I've never been able to grow dwarf hairgrass), but decreasing the length of daylight. I want to add one of these babies. It would get a bit more light down under the floaters.

Then maybe a low dosage of some ferts and/or increase my stocking. What do you think that would do?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ...and aren't high nitrates one of the causes of algae problems? So, I need to increase my nitrates? Pardon me for a moment while my brain explodes...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    ...and aren't high nitrates one of the causes of algae problems? So, I need to increase my nitrates? Pardon me for a moment while my brain explodes...
    No, algae actually consumes nitrates...high nitrate levels are the result of not enough/not big enough water changes
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers