· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Not significantly...nutrient imbalance and too much light are usually the culprits
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    OK, well, I learned something! So, ferts are going to add trace elements etc. Phosphates are very low in my water. Increased stocking should add a bit of nitrate to the water. We'll see what that does, eh?

Thanks for the info, everybody! My aquarium is driving me crazy, not because it's so bad, but because it is *so close* to being great!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    Phosphates. I wouldn't add any of this unless you see signs of phosphate deficiency in your plants. An easy way of boosting phosphate is to stock more fish and feed a high quality frozen food once or twice a week, pouring in all the melt water with it. Too much phosphate will increase your algae significantly. Phosphate test kits are fairly accurate. I bought one when my plants were wasting.

Nitrates will be consumed by plants and algae but not necessarily cause algae. I have a heavily planted, heavily stocked tank. I now only change water once a fortnight (that's every two weeks to my American friends), and trates never get above ~10ppm.

I'd recommend splitting the photoperiod and dosing a broad spectrum fertiliser at the recommended dose once a week, or top it up with a half dose every three or four days. Wait three weeks and see what happens.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Will do. I'm already splitting the photo period, actually, with no observed result...maybe I should be scientific and QUIT splitting the photo period, just to see if the algae gets even worse.

Naaaaaah.