· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Way to go on starting the cycle! - Compass   Congrats on the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycle and new fish! - Compass   Here is one you can see. - mommy1   You need another fish! - Compass   

Default Pool Filter/Pumps for large tanks.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sure its been brought up and discussed many times.With a quick search I found a lot of discussions on other sites and I came across the main issues being BB and flow rate of water in the tank possibly being to high.

My scenario is say you have a man cave and you want a large tank installed with little maintenance to do.
    For power, the pump and filter unit would be on a breaker box itself separate from the rest of the house.
    The unit would sit outside the house so noise wouldn't be an issue. The plumbing to and from the tank would run through the wall, and outside to the unit.

My solution for the BB...What if, the return hose back to the tank had an in-line media box (think of an air filter on an auto) that would contain the media for BB?
    At first I thought about just adding media to the sand, but there is so much turbulence in the main filter once it gets fired up that it might wipe out to much of the bacteria..if not all of it.
    As for the flow being too much, the in-line media box would help reduce the flow as well by how much media you choose to place in it, or how big the box is made.

..thoughts?
    55 Gallon: Bluegill
    29 Gallon: Pearl Gourami, Brilliant Rasbora, Bristle Nose
    10 Gallon: Betta, Clown Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    This pool filter and pump look much like the filtration I have seen at public aquariums, but this one is smaller.

I think it would work like a canister filter and if you stuff the filter with media there shouldn't be a problem with keeping the bacteria in there.

Sounds like an interesting idea and I am curious to hear what other people think about it.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    There are external pumps used to move water from a sump back into the main tank that are almost deal silent. This is very common on large reef tank set-ups

For example, I have the below pump on my 180 gallon set-up. It sits in a closet behind the tank and you can not hear it when the door is closed. You have a very large FW set-up with only a 55 gallon set-up (filled with biomedia) and one of those pumps. Just another option to consider

http://www.reeflopumps.com/productoverview.html
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Way to go on starting the cycle! - Compass   Congrats on the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycle and new fish! - Compass   Here is one you can see. - mommy1   You need another fish! - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    This pool filter and pump look much like the filtration I have seen at public aquariums, but this one is smaller. http://www.eureka4you.com/home/PoolFilterPump.jpg
    Sounds like an interesting idea and I am curious to hear what other people think about it.
    This is about the size I used to have on my above-ground pool. And is what got me thinking about it. I wish i would have brought it with me when I sold my old house 10 years ago.
    They make them even smaller too, which puts the price in the same range as the aquarium specific set-ups. some even cheaper.
    Pool pumps also have a backwash capabiltiy, which would make emptying the tank for easy. (Im not sure if canister tanks have that function)..I've never owned a canister filter before.
    A direct water line would also fill the tank as well

Thanks for the link Cliff. It will definitely be something I consider in the future
    55 Gallon: Bluegill
    29 Gallon: Pearl Gourami, Brilliant Rasbora, Bristle Nose
    10 Gallon: Betta, Clown Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Christmas Clownfish,  Enjoy the holidays - Cliff   Happy New Year!  Pop a cork for me :o) - fishmommie   Merry Christmas! Hope you and your family are well. - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cm12setx   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    This is how I do my BIO Filter after my big Canister Filter. You could use a few more on a manifold to solve the flow problem. These seem to be working nice for my tank. You just have to add a pipe to the bottom of the bowl with holes drilled in it so water will flow down thru the BIO and go up the pipe. They also make fatter Whole House Filters too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Christmas Clownfish,  Enjoy the holidays - Cliff   Happy New Year!  Pop a cork for me :o) - fishmommie   Merry Christmas! Hope you and your family are well. - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cm12setx   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    In the bottom of the Whole House Filter Housings there is a raised part that goes in the cartridge to center it. Take a 3/4" Sch 20 PVC pipe and warm it up with a heat gun and push it in the hole to shape it. Then you can glue it in place. Then take a rubber O-Ring and put it in the top section hole so the pipe pushes against it for a seal. You have to cut the pipe to fit right before you glue it in place on the bottom. I drilled 4-3/8" holes in this pipe on the bottom to let the water in and put the fiber stuff around them. This keeps the BIO Rocks from going up the pipe since the water comes in the top outside part of the unit. This way you don't have to mess with the BIO when you clean the filter out.
    Last edited by Plecos; 09-30-2014 at 03:29 AM.