· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

Default equipment for 2.5g

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so, for christmas I am asking for a 2.5g because I am only suppose to have 1 10g tank, but I have caught MTS and can't stand only having one, so I am begging for them to get me one and let me set it up, so these are my plans so far, a 2.5g tank with a glass lid from petsmart, with smooth, natural gravel, a desk lamp from ikea, and for stock.
    Plants: java moss, java fern, vals, and maybe some anacharis.
    Live stock: ghost or red cherry shrimp, 1 bladder snail, and maybe some fry if my breeder box is full.
    But here's my question, I can't have any other filter things, but I do have a air pump that I could use, but I don't know what filter I can power with it? I don't want a ugf or rugf, but a sponge filter would be to big I think, any suggestions on what to do? I kinda would prefer a sponge filter but I don't know i can get one for the tank size. Plant and live stock suggestions welcome.
    "I've always thought that if
    I learn from mistakes that I'd make
    Even the losses into victories"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    Just saw this vid. and thoughtit was really cool, but I don't think I can put and sponge near me.
    Oh and I forgot to mention, I am toying with the idea of a paludarium, but I don't know if it would work.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    The glass lid doesn't have any openings for wires or tubing so you'll have the lid propped open a bit where they come out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Humm, is it tempered glass? I maybe able to cut it with a heated knife or something if not, does it have an area to cut? Thanks for the info, I guess I could prop the hood up like half an inch so its not hovering but it still let's wires out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    This is a really inexpensive hob filter that I use on my 2.5 gal

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9821

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I highly doubt you could (or should) attempt to "cut" tempered glass with a heated knife (or anything for that matter).
    The vals - if they grow - will get quite messy in a 2.5 gallon. even the leaves of the smallest species can get to 2-3 ft. in length. everything else sounds fine though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Get well soon - frank_zappa   good start on your tank - SeaLady   Enjoy your new plants! - AABatteries   

0 Not allowed!
    I gotta agree with madagascariensis. I wouldn't attempt to cut any glass. But if you're absolutely determined, I know they sell those little glass cutters/tappers at home depot that I had to use for art class in highschool. That should atleast make it a bit safer if you've got your head wrapped around it. As for the fishies, I actually like the idea of a shrimp/fry tank. Just make sure the shrimps dont eat the fry! lol. As for plants, I'd probably stick with just the java moss and fern. The anarcharis is probably gunna grow too much, and the vals are almost sure to make a mess. Keep us updated on this tank, I've always liked the idea of micro-shrimp tanks!
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @sueD I don't mine having a hob but I can't have any other anything thatneeds to be pluged in.
    @madagascariensis no no, I was asking if it tempered because I know that then I can't cut it, but yeah I am just going to prop the lid up some. Ok no vals, do you know any other plants that I could put in there? Dwarf hair grass?
    @ThatTexanGuy same as above about glasss. Haha, yeah I am going to get small ghost shrimp if I can, ok no vals or anacharis, could I do dwarf hairgrass? I am willing to trim it, although I need so curved scissors(christmas list here I come).

any other fish, or plant recomendation are welcome.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    @sueD I don't mine having a hob but I can't have any other anything thatneeds to be pluged in.
    If you used the air pump and sponge filter, that pump has to be plugged in, so this filter would take the place of that air pump. It's a one for one swap.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah but I have to have a air pump for my breeder box, I think I am going to do a walstad method with a air pump, so that solves that prob, and here's some other ideas, could I put a dwarf puffer in there? Will dwarf hairgrass do ok under 415 lumens?