· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Lol, common sense isn't as common as it should be! - mommy1   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   

Default Winter is coming… Tank switch

0 Not allowed!
    As Ned Stark would say (if he was still with us, RIP) it’s about to get cold! My cichlids (FM, HRP x2 & Blue Acara) are out in the garage where there’s zero insulation. They do have a heater, but I’m worried that it won’t be able to keep up with the cold of winter. They are in a 75 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump, and I’m thinking about having them switch places with my goldfish tank, which is indoors, so they can enjoy more consistent conditions. I’m also thinking that goldfish are much better equipped to handle potential fluctuating temperatures.

The goldfish tank is 70 gallons, and has the exact same footprint (48” x 18”) as the cichlid tank in the garage, it’s just not quite as tall. The goldfish tank is filtered with a Fluval XP3 canister and an Aquatop CF300 canister. I want to leave the filters with the tanks, so the cichlids would go to the tank inside with the canister filters, and the goldfish would go to the garage with the sump. Of course everything inside each tank (substrate and décor) will follow the fish to their new tank.

The bioload that each filtration system is handling right now should be pretty comparable. I may transfer some of the bio media from one of the canisters to the sump system as I would guess that two large goldfish produce a bit more waste than 4 small cichlids. Does anyone foresee any issues with this?

I have an empty 40 gallon tank that will help with the transition, I’ll put the two goldfish in there and I have a spare 10 gallon and a couple spare 5 gallons that I can put the cichlids in (the biggest is 3”) during the transfer.

I will move half of the goldfish water into the 40 gallon (where the goldfish will be going between tanks), then empty the rest. I will move all of the décor for the goldfish into the 40 gallon as well so the indoor 70 gallon tank will be completely empty and ready for its new occupants.

I will then pull out the cichlids and put them in their respective holding tanks, then begin moving their stuff to their new home inside. This will also be a good opportunity to do a good cleaning on both tanks, and will probably get a good rinse of the filters (using tank water, of course).

I hope to have this completed by the end of October. Any thoughts, concerns or ideas? Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

2 Not allowed!
    About to get cold? Witner.... would be nice after the long dark autumn we had last year.

Anyway, don't see issues with your plan

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Lol, common sense isn't as common as it should be! - mommy1   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I may be jumping the gun just a little with the statement "it's about to get cold" ... It rained for the first time pretty much all summer yesterday and it got me really excited for this heat to go away. Then I started thinking about snowboarding and Christmas and all the wonders that winter has to offer...

I also really want the cichlids inside where I can see them more, and winter is a great excuse to do that, haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like a lot of work, but a good plan and any excuse to enjoy your cichlids more is a great one. And it's good to see another GoT fan. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Christmas Clownfish,  Enjoy the holidays - Cliff   Happy New Year!  Pop a cork for me :o) - fishmommie   Merry Christmas! Hope you and your family are well. - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cm12setx   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I realy don't need any snow as we get real cold around here in the winter! Also it lasts almost 6 months too!

One cold winter day here;

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7   Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    if you want winter discussions just look up last years "The I hate winter thread" or something like that.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I also really want the cichlids inside where I can see them more, and winter is a great excuse to do that, haha [/QUOTE]
    AH the truth is out there. You want them inside to see. Are they more entertaining than gold fish?
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    if you want winter discussions just look up last years "The I hate winter thread" or something like that.
    Yes.. andd all the comments on how north America stole our winter. :( Ah, well see......

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Christmas Clownfish,  Enjoy the holidays - Cliff   Happy New Year!  Pop a cork for me :o) - fishmommie   Merry Christmas! Hope you and your family are well. - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cm12setx   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Never misses us just different levels of snow from 3'-5' but still cold. I do not us a heater in my tank cause we burn wood for heat and the house is kept warm!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That picture is brilliant, Plecos! Blows my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    It sounds like a lot of work, but a good plan and any excuse to enjoy your cichlids more is a great one. And it's good to see another GoT fan. :)
    It'll be a lot of work, but will be fun for me. A good reason to play around with the scape too. Gotta love GoT! I'm still working my way through the books, I really wish I wouldnt' have watched the series before I finished the books though. That was a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    I'll have to check that out. It was a ridiculous winter in Oregon last year, too. I work for our local utility company and dealing with a solid week of power outages was a nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    AH the truth is out there. You want them inside to see. Are they more entertaining than gold fish?
    Infinately! They do much more than just beg for food all the time