· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7   Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

Default I'm not dead, but my filter is

0 Not allowed!
    I have been gone for a few months now. I know I just upped an left there for a bit. But I still been managing to keep everything running smoothly up until last night.

Last night I noticed the AC30 in my 10 gallon the water was a bit low and the motor really warm. It was toast. In addition the top media packet was already mostly dry. It must have failed sometime earlier in the day.

So doing the only thing I could think of. I grabbed both media packets and tossed them into the 37 gallon tank along with the 2 pieces of driftwood as they still had a large amount of bacteria on them most likely. Not to mention more pond snails for my budding assassin snail population. Apparently my initial batch had both gender's. I though I lost most of them originally after finding 2 empty shells and not seeing them for like 2 months. Then followed by a pond snail population explosion after. But in the last month they have been every where.

But I also got what I thought was all my fish out of the 10 gallon and into the 37 except I seen one more lurking this morning in there but I wasn't able to catch him. It is a royal pain to get to them with all the plants in that tank now that are trying. Not to mention since I usually didn't disturb the wood when I cleaned the tank so there is a lot of loose material in the tank. And having black fish with a black background yea that isn't working to well.

But I will trying to get the last fish out over lunch today.

But question is what to do with my filter. that lasted what 8 months?
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Who are you again?

WELCOME BACK, stranger...good to hear from you again, even if not under the best circumstances

How often have you done maintenence on the filter, and on the motor housing itself?...have you cleaned the impeller well?...do you lube the impeller shaft with Vaseline?

All parts for the AC's are avaiable to purchase, if you wanted to rebuild it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7   Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't done much of any maintenance on the motor itself. Really never made any noise or fuss. It just always ran quiet. I made sure no debris got up in it and kept it clean otherwise. It just up and died.

But I would think it would be under warranty but I am not sure as I got it from Amazon. Not sure what I am going to do with it now. For the most part I am just letting the lights run their cycle to keep the plants going. Screw the pond snails :p
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    I would try to get it cleaned up, I'm betting it's not dead just yet...especially if you've never given the impeller well a deep clean

Pull the motor, remove the impeller, and run scalding hot water into the well...use Qtips to swab it out real well....rinse in hot water, swab, repeat...scrub the impeller itself in hot water with an old toothbrush...and lube the shaft before replacing it

Briefly plug it in before replacing to see if it spins...I'm betting it does

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Ok, I will give that a shot. How easy is it to get the motor off. And what kind of tools am I going to need for this? make sure I got everything I need before starting.
    Current tanks:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just hope I haven't completely killed my cycle in there. As half my media was bone dry. But like I said I tossed in the other tank so hopefully it repopulates fast so that I can seed it back into the little tank.
    Current tanks:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    AC motors are super easy to clean. Give it a shot, won't hurt anything. Two things I have found about AC that stop running. One is that with the filter plugged in and full of water give the motor a whack. Don't laugh, it works. Or again with the filter plugged in and full take off the intake tube or move it to the side so that you can see the impeller. Use something like a chopstick and give it a little push, more often then not that will get the motor going. I would say if neither of these work your filter is done for. I've had 10 year old filters that I had to do this with every time to get them going. Sadly though the newer filters don't last like the old ones did.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I tried to give it a good thumping.

Will also give the filter sponge a good cleaning as well into dechlorinated water tonight as well
    Current tanks:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The motor just twists off of the housing. Only tools you will need are Qtips and Vaseline, and an old toothbrush.

Be sure to lube the O ring where the motor meets the housing with a bit of Vaseline as well...

Before removing the motor from the housing, note how it is aligned...you will have to twist it back on to the housing in the opposite direction, so that it lines up

While you have the motor removed, may as well clean the whole housing/pickup tube in hot water...an old toothbrush works great for celaning the nooks and crannies...remove the dark plastic piece where the pickup tube end rests, it will be filthy under there...the TB works well to clean out the pickup tube, too

BE CAREFUL when you remove the impeller from the motor...it is held in there magnetically, it may be slimy and hard to grasp with your fingers...you can use tweezers to pull it out, but you DON'T want to bend the shaft...after you get it lubed, gently place the impeller back in and let it "pull" itself back into place

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome back, FT! I think they have a 2 year warranty.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast