· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 569 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Technical problems...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

2 Not allowed!
    I am so sorry, but I am going to burst your stand bubble. Unless the additional 2x6s (you can use 2x4s) go from the top all the way to the floor and support the entire tank perimeter, you can't put a 75 gal tank on your stand. A 75 gal fully loaded weighs between 750-900 lbs. My 75 gal sits on a commercial shelving unit rated for 1500 lbs per shelf.

This is the frame you need under the outer stand to support that weight - this stand was built for a 75 gal.

DIY Wood tank stand 2.jpg
    Last edited by gronlaura; 10-01-2014 at 10:54 PM.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Right back at ya -- cheers! - RiversGirl   T.G.I.F.!  I can't drink alone. - Boundava   I don't like to drink alone,...  Cheers !!! - Cliff   Thanks for the help! - BluewaterBoof   Just 'cause - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Since the countertop will be longer than the top, could you reinforce with 2x4s or 2x6s on the each of the 4 corners on the outside of the stand? That way they would extend from the top to the floor. And could be painted to match the cabinet.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    Since the countertop will be longer than the top, could you reinforce with 2x4s or 2x6s on the each of the 4 corners on the outside of the stand? That way they would extend from the top to the floor. And could be painted to match the cabinet.
    This is what I was planning on adding to the inside, I can beef it up to a 2x4. I don't see a need for framing it , but I can flip it over and add some more support to the base, but it is very solid already...

STAND.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    This is what I was planning on adding to the inside, I can beef it up to a 2x4. I don't see a need for framing it , but I can flip it over and add some more support to the base, but it is very solid already...

STAND.jpg
    It's very solid for holding a 200 lb TV, but not a 75 gal aquarium. And, it's not just how solid it is, but how the tank is supported. You have the right idea in the adjustments you show in your photo. The tank perimeter is what needs to be supported (the bottom frame), from right under the top of your stand all the way to the floor. If you add 2x4s that don't go to the floor, it will put pressure on the bottom of the stand and I don't think it will hold up. If you add a 2x4 frame to the top (under the top of the stand) and bottom (under the stand, sitting on the floor) that the vertical boards can tie into, you should be okay. The vertical boards need to fit between the top and bottom boards. Here is my very bad drawing - I hope you get the idea. It's the same support as shown in the frame photo I posted, but with your stand on the outside.

stand.jpg
    Last edited by gronlaura; 10-02-2014 at 07:09 PM.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for your gifts to me, a new pleco for you.  I finally figured it out. - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas indeed - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you, too - SueD   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cm12setx   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Not to stir up the water but if you buy some "MDF 1" Counter Top" (Comes in 24" wide) from the Lumber Yard and put a top on the unit that fits the tank it will work. Then you can just trim the edge that shows and paint it. Then put cut sections of "MDF Counter Top" on the inside cut to fit like your 2x4s tight square cuts screw it in place to hold them from the inside using 6 or so screws per board it will work OK. The 2x4s only hold above there point they touch the wood. This will keep the wood nice and flat under weight. The MDF will hold there whole length and still look good in the box. MDF Counter Top is a very hard compressed wood compaired to regular partical board. Super smooth also. Drill and counter sink the screws for a good hold. You could put some glue between them also. Just make sure the sides have wood below them on the bottom. I could not tell for sure in your pictures.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for your gifts to me, a new pleco for you.  I finally figured it out. - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas indeed - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you, too - SueD   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cm12setx   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    To hold up heavy weight a few things are needed. The device must be plumb, flat on floor and built in a way to stop racking or twisting. You may bump a tank or fall against it sometime. Wood should be cut square and fit with out a gap. A gap will later close under weight and put a strain on the glass. If it is not flat it will cause more pressure in the point of contact on the high point. So not only are you supporting the tank you need to stop it from leaning that is what the back of the base does. It needs to be attached real good. It does not really come into use till it starts to lean or twist. Any movement of the base will cause big problems cause it put extream strain on screws and attachment points. A 4x4 can support 10,000 lbs on end but if it is not plumb it will tip and crush easy. So you want weight to go on the wood not the screws or glue. They just hold it together. Even tho a tank may weight 750 lbs it is spread over 4-6 square ft and that is around 200 lbs a 12" X 12" area. Wood is very strong but not put together right it isn't.

So if the inside bottom is screwed to the sides it is not strong for holding the new supports inside. You must have solid wood under them to the floor to take the strain off the screws. Compression is your best friend on holding weight up not shear.
    Last edited by Plecos; 10-02-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Column Support with wood "chart" here is some facts on wood support I just looked up. Lots of information like this on the net.
    https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/arch...7.1/index.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Here is another Chart you can fill in the numbers to figure how strong/deflection a shelf will be. •If shelf thickness is doubled, deflection is reduced to one-eighth.
    http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Using the above chart on Shelves you can figure the wood on edge to see if it has sage. So a shelf 24" tall 48" long and 1" front to rear(on edge) will work also for the calculation.

Page 3 of 569 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast