· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 570 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I have been looking and looking at backgrounds, and I really liked the idea of having some greenery, but with the width of a 55 gallon I can't really add any big features, so I thought little 1" rings with a screen to encourage circulation, but enough depth for a rhizome to sit in some substrate. I have been a bit intimidated so I have been procrastinating, but this weekend I figured I would take that foam by the horns and carve away!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I love the scratched up look of your stand.
    And the background looks incredible too :)
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for your gifts to me, a new pleco for you.  I finally figured it out. - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas indeed - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you, too - SueD   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cm12setx   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    It is coming along nice. Be sure to update us on the foam backing your building. This interests me in how it is done. I am wondering what you will seal and cover it with?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    I was researching this for a long time and many people use quickcrete, the problem with that is that it leaches in the water for up to 2 weeks really screwing the pH, you have to fill/drain/fill/drain/fill/drain...think you get the point until it stops leaching (test pH). Or you could let it dry entirely and then use an epoxy for ponds (expensive and sold in huge containers).

A couple people I read used a masonry sealer called Drylok, If you use multiple coats (allowing 12-24 hours to dry between coats) you can build up a waterproof layer that is thicker than paint but not thick like quickcrete (nor does it leach anything into the water).

It does not have the texture that the thinned quickcrete does, but you can add sand into your final or next to final piece to add texture to it. Bonus is that is doesn't need to be sealed.

I will be coating my foam front and back with the drylock, I will silicone the mesh screens to the "planters" and then on the back I will be using silicone to attach 3-4 magnets (coated in plastic as to not leach any metals in water) to each section as well as (I think using Gorilla glue) securing some slate tiles to the bottom of the piece to help counter the buoyancy of the foam. These slate "feet will then be covered with my Eco-complete substrate to help secure it.

I have been planing this for a few months and been looking and looking for products to use. I was going to use silicone on the slate, but many have told me the silicone won't stick to the slate tiles.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by afro123 View Post
    I love the scratched up look of your stand.
    And the background looks incredible too :)
    Thank you, I really didn't want to repaint the stand entirely but wanted to go with a distressed look in a complementary color to the dark hunter green to cover some of the damages to it and lighten it a bit so I got a nice aqua/turquoise blue. The top is a mess cause my sister decided to come over a try some techniques...it will be covered by the Formica so I let her try it out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter - steeler58   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Those goldfish are lucky they've met you. - Slaphppy7   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I love the distressed look.. great job! And the background is beautiful! Will be nice to see it all come together.
    DM's 20g high - journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So not getting too much done after work, but last night I was able to silicone the slate tile/rock feet to the base of the background.

I was also thinking about some of the comments about the stand being strong enough...so I am going to get some 2"x2"x6' pieces of wood and cut them to fit inside the stand in the 4 corners, as well as 4 more to support the center. I will paint them and then screw them in to help with the weight distribution. I think the Formica top I am adding will also help with the weight distribution so that no part of the stand takes too much pressure...

On that note I am going to get a 75 gallon tank Friday, and will be replacing the 55 with it...I figured since this happened and the 55 is empty now waiting for everything to get back in it I could go ahead and get the 75.

I wish I would have researched tanks a bit more before upgrading, I would have seen the 55 is very narrow and the 75 is similar but wider...so I came across a used 75 gallon for local pickup and I am going to get it Friday. Anyone need a 55 gallon? LOL

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Right back at ya -- cheers! - RiversGirl   T.G.I.F.!  I can't drink alone. - Boundava   I don't like to drink alone,...  Cheers !!! - Cliff   Thanks for the help! - BluewaterBoof   Just 'cause - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh wow! Congrats on the 75! But be safe and make sure it passes the leak test before giving away your 55. I'm so happy for you and the extra bracing will be great for the bigger tank. I'm so jealous. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    You keep getting luckier and luckier :)
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well after the luck i had been having, it was bound to take a turn somewhere!

Page 2 of 570 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast