· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For caring for your fish, I hope the BP makes it. - steeler1   Sorry for your loss - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   

Default Lake Tanganyika Community

0 Not allowed!
    So I have been cycling another 21 gallon tank for about 2 months. In the time I've been watching a lot of videos on African cichlids but since my tank is only a 20 gallon I have had to limit my choices. I went towards the Lake Tanganyika cichlids because they all have a unique look. The probably is I don't know any small ones besides the Juilechromis, altolamprologus, Lamprologus shell dwellers, Telmatocrhomis, and a few of the Neolamprologus. I really don't want to go with the small shell dwellers that most people are familiar with Like the brevis, multifasciatus, and similis so if you all could help me out a little that would be great. I do really like the altolamprologus and the Juilechromis

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    I can tell you now that altolamps get way too large for a 21gal. You won't have any success with much more than shellies in that size tank...and even at that size you'll have aggression problems. Julidochromis also get too large I'm afraid. You'd need 30G+ for those.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    What are your water parameters? You might consider a pair of brichardi...although again, it's a bit small.

Alternatives to tangs might be a pair of kribensis.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For caring for your fish, I hope the BP makes it. - steeler1   Sorry for your loss - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    What about the Alt. Compressiceps Sumbu? those are pretty small

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!
    A pair of Brichardi would be ok, but you would need to have a plan for all the fry, they will quickly over populate a 20g.

One of my favorite shellies is the Pearly Ocellatus
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    The Sumbu dwarfs are pretty rare in the hobby, and not a good species for small tanks. You can keep/breed an established pair of Julies or N. buescheri in that size tank, but it's too small to grow out a group to get an established pair. N. multifasciatus is really the best species for that size tank in the long run.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have slowly started to give up the most of the other of the other tangs. But I like the possibility of having N. Brevis and julidochromis transcriptus living together if that could work.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Would work in a larger tank, not in a 21 gallon though.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    The Sumbu dwarfs are pretty rare in the hobby, and not a good species for small tanks.
    Having 10 Sumbu Dwarfs myself, I'm curious who told you they are not a good species for small tanks?

Old thread I know, just saw this post and had to comment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Because the males claim a fair size territory, and in a small tank there's not enough space to get away from a dominant male. In that case some fish usually end up either killed outright or stressed to death if they aren't moved out of the tank.