· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

3 Not allowed!
    They arrived earlier than I expected, sat on the front porch for several hours, but they were fine when I opened the box. The male sulked under the paper bedding when I open the lid of his shipping container, so I opened the female's too. She was more willing to come out and move around, so I picked her up after she stretched out across the kitchen table. She quickly settled down and wrapped around my wrist, hung out there while I placed the male's tub in the cage then took a few pics of her. After she slipped off the wrist and into the cage she found the hide on the cool end and tucked herself away. The male was more interested in exploring the new environment after he came out of his container, but headed into the hide on the warm side after a while. He was roaming the tank when I got home from work, so I picked him up, and couple minutes after he pooped on me he settled down and hung out on my arm for an hour. Then I let him back into the tank, the female was still tucked away but there's a fresh poop in the corner behind that hide. Male appears a little longer than the female, he's about 30", little wider head too.
    Here's my new (female) Dominican red mountain bracelet:

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    she looks really cute!!!

Makes want to buy one too :)
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    These boas are on the smaller side, doubt the female will grow to more than 8', the male likely 6-7'. They like it warm, around 82-84 is their comfort zone, but otherwise not too difficult to maintain. I have a shipment of frozen day-old quail coming early next week, apparently they prefer those to rodents, but shouldn't be too difficult to switch over. I'm going out tomorrow and collect a few salamanders to see if they'll take those. Not something they'd encounter in their natural habitat, but I don't imagine they smell much different than frogs.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Pix of the current setup, still working on the temp balance. Bottom left side has the UTH, 60w bulb in the pole lamp, 100w ceramic heat bulb top of screen on right side.

Poret filter foam wedged in as shelf to support silk plants:

Female favors the ceramic heater side, just catch a peek of her between the layers of foam top right middle:

Received a shipment of 100 frozen 1-day-old quail chicks today, and sent out payment for another pair of yearlings from a different breeder. I'm thinking it will be better to mix the bloodlines rather than breeding siblings together when they mature in a few years.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Pix from seller (new pair) of parents and a couple yearlings:

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Never shake a baby birrrrrrrd! - rebecca_finny   Safe travels, Shenzi! - rebecca_finny   Just Saying Thanks! - Plecos   Here's some candy for your candy bag. - mommy1   More candy for your candy bag - mommy1   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - rebecca_finny   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, love the colors!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Still awesome.
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    New ones arrived last week, same size as the first pair but a littler more red color overall. Set them up in a 38 with the same arrangement as the 55. The female was in shed, but I offered the new ones quail chicks along with the first pair Sunday night.
    Neither of the new ones ate, while both the first pair took theirs.
    The male had been fed the previous Tuesday, the female didn't eat then. The male seemed eager and took his quickly, the female a few hours after the lights were out. Hoping to get the new ones eating the quail chicks as well, but they've been fed mice, so I may have to keep them on the same diet. The new pair haven't been handled at all, and are a little less comfortable about it, but they still have the same gentle nature. None of them strike or bite when disturbed, main difference is the new pair seem more inclined to bolt suddenly, but that will ease up after they're more accustomed to being handled.
    Going to the Hamburg reptile show next Saturday, hoping to pick up an okeetee corn snake.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Update on the boas, one of each pair (both females, oddly) have shed now, a week apart. The female of the newer pair was expected, seller told me she was getting ready, but the other caught me by surprise. The newer female ate a brained f/t quail chick after she shed a week ago, the newer male ignored his. Both ate live rat pinkies this week, the female Saturday night, the male last night. His first meal since arrival, sigh of relief.

The first pair have been taking the quail w/out any problems, expected since that's what they had been fed by the breeder/seller. The female shed a couple days ago, but still has about 20-25% of the old skin on her tail. She's been placed in a small container with wet gravel to help loosen and shed the rest. Apparently 50% humidity isn't quite high enough for them to shed cleanly.

We went to the Hamburg reptile show Saturday. I found a hatchling carpet python, unsexed, labeled as jungle cross. No idea what it was crossed with, still eating live, needs to be switched to f/t. After standing at the table looking at the variety of reptiles, and hearing several people asking questions about one or another, I gathered the sellers at that table own a pet shop and had taken most of the animals on trade. There were 3 of the carpet python babies, all looked pretty similar, but 1 was visibly a little larger than the other 2. After holding a smaller one first, then the little larger one, neither displayed any aggressive or even defensive behavior. Apparently they never read the care sheets I did, stating that hatchling pythons strike at anything that moves, and need plenty of handling before they'll (hopefully) calm down.

Moved along and thought about it a while, then Becka fell in love with a 2 month old baby male red tail boa at another table. The sellers bred him, 66% double het albino leopard morph, quite striking compared to a normal red tail. Still eating live mice, not switched to f/t yet. After hearing any number of the vendors telling people that prices were negotiable I figured I could probably talk the $75 price down at least by $10. However, Becka kept insisting that she like THAT one every time I said "look at this one", so after the 8th repetition any bargaining power I might have had was long gone. Needless to say, he came home with us. Becka named him Damien, after Jake the Snake of the WWF's pet python.

I had been hoping to find an equally outstanding (to me anyway) Okeetee corn snake, but among the hundreds upon hundreds of corn snakes I looked at there were relatively few Okeetees, and none were quite what I wanted. After further deliberation I went back and got the mystery python, figured it was a fair chance it would grow up to be similar to the DRMB's for general disposition. Should be the same size and body shape as well from what I'd read about carpet pythons.

Saw quite a variety of reptiles there, couple spitting and one albino monocled cobra. Couple dozen rattlesnakes of various sizes, literally thousands of ball pythons, probably as many corn, milk, and king snakes (combined) too. Fair selection of less common breeds of rat snakes from Asia, those are mostly look-but-don't-handle and spend most of their time under cover. Picked up a bag of 50 frozen rat pinkies and a couple live ones on the way out.

Couple pics of the mystery python on the end of his (?) 29, suggestions for a name for the unsexed new arrival?

Will get pics of Damien posted soon, camera battery recharging.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thought you needed a gift :) - arkie   for a fellow front lover - sailor   this is the biggest fish they have!! - The Red Severum   For making me smile with your Arow story. - Brookfish   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Beautiful snakes! Been breeding snakes for years and never heard of them. We frequent the Hamburg reptile show as well. It gets a little packed in there, but it's a great time!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii