· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with the glass lid! - Slaphppy7   An angel to watch over your sick angel - fishmommie   For luck with your angels - Slaphppy7   

Default Re-stocking My Tank

2 Not allowed!
    Some of the members on this site definitely helped me realize my 38g freshwater tank wasn't properly stocked at all, so they suggested I find the fish new homes. Yesterday I dropped them off at one of my local fish stores and they welcomed them with open arms. I'm going to wait a little while to add more fish in but now I need some stocking suggestions for the tank. It's a freshwater artificially planted tank with some lava rock in there too. I want some schooling fish so I had thought about either rummynose or penguin tetra, but I had heard that rummynose can be tough to start up sometimes. Thought about putting some angels in there as well as more of a focal point but I'm not sure how they'd do with those kind of tetras. Any suggestions about other kinds of fish or whether or not these ideas might work? And thanks to everyone that helped me realize the tank wasn't properly stocked before, I really appreciate it!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    One word, rams, there a south american cichlid here's a pic of a bolivian ram, th (4).jpgwell actually 3, they breed relitivly easy once paired up, oh and this is what I've read and off of other members sayings.there are a couple different types of them but the above is my favorite, german blue rams are also cool but are harder to keep because of some sensitivity. And they would be fine with tetras.
    A clown pleco would also look cool, or a bristlenose pleco, also I would get 6 otocinclus when you start seeing algae.
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    "What will they write upon my grave
    A free man born as a king, who died as a slave" -Logic

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thx for the nomination - pRED   right back at cha :o) - fishmommie   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    A 38 is about 36" long x 12" deep x 24" tall i think. Which is a tadd small for full grown angle i think. But a pair of bolivan rams is good and pretty. With six to eight penguin tetras, and a few corys six of them. On corys pick the ones you like.

And forgot to say welcome to AC
    Last edited by cm12setx; 09-05-2014 at 03:04 AM.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Get well soon - frank_zappa   good start on your tank - SeaLady   Enjoy your new plants! - AABatteries   

1 Not allowed!
    Not sure if I can link other threads, so if I cant, please mods remove it.

Anyways, adamlafrance, heres a thread on a 30g that had a lot of stocking options. You could follow something similar, although with a little more in the schools.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=118036

Personally, I'm a tetra guy through and through. A big shoal is what I'll eventually have, so I'll have to suggest one for you too! xD
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

7 Not allowed!
    First of all, before recommending any stock for your tank, do you know what kind of water you have? Do you know the pH? Do you know if your water is soft or hard? I'm assuming you'll be using tap water?

Once I have this information I can suggest a few options for you. Rummynose are sensitive fish that will not do well in hard water.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with the glass lid! - Slaphppy7   An angel to watch over your sick angel - fishmommie   For luck with your angels - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Tap water was used to fill the tank back in June, it is soft water. pH runs about 7.4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    That's about neutral, the bolivians should be fine in that.
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    "What will they write upon my grave
    A free man born as a king, who died as a slave" -Logic

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

3 Not allowed!
    Sounds good. And in that case rummynose tetra could also work well. I'm envious of your soft water! You're very lucky.

If you do choose rummynose do make sure the tank is quite well planted (plenty of cover for them) as I've seen them to be skittish and nervous fish to begin with. Harlequin tetra might also do well if you'd like a school of those. Are you going to plant the tank at all?

Essentially though, what do you like the look of? Schooling fish? Catfish like the corydoras species? Or more down the route of dwarf cichlids like rams or apistos? You have lots of choice. Do you want a community tank of peaceful fish or are you interested in a particular species?

I've just had the thought - now that your tank is empty, have you thought about how to keep your cycle going? Leaving it empty for more than a few days can result in your cycle (ammonia/nitrite eating bacteria) can be lost. This means that adding new fish will result in an ammonia spike and a new cycling process. If you're not going to make the purchases in the next 24 hours I would run down to your local pharmacy and pick up a bottle of ammonia to dose the tank with (this will keep the bacteria fed until you decide to restock it).

Do you have test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? They'll be handy if you don't have any yet.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Sounds good. And in that case rummynose tetra could also work well. I'm envious of your soft water! You're very lucky.

If you do choose rummynose do make sure the tank is quite well planted (plenty of cover for them) as I've seen them to be skittish and nervous fish to begin with. Harlequin tetra might also do well if you'd like a school of those. Are you going to plant the tank at all?

Essentially though, what do you like the look of? Schooling fish? Catfish like the corydoras species? Or more down the route of dwarf cichlids like rams or apistos? You have lots of choice. Do you want a community tank of peaceful fish or are you interested in a particular species?

I've just had the thought - now that your tank is empty, have you thought about how to keep your cycle going? Leaving it empty for more than a few days can result in your cycle (ammonia/nitrite eating bacteria) can be lost. This means that adding new fish will result in an ammonia spike and a new cycling process. If you're not going to make the purchases in the next 24 hours I would run down to your local pharmacy and pick up a bottle of ammonia to dose the tank with (this will keep the bacteria fed until you decide to restock it).

Do you have test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? They'll be handy if you don't have any yet.
    Excellent advice...have you given consideration to real plants instead of artificial?...so many benefits to live plants

Most importantly, keep that cycle going!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking to do at least one kind of schooling fish, but I don't want to have all schooling fish. Love the look of some corys as well as the otocinclus that aquariumlover10 suggested once algae starts to show up. I do have a testing kit for nitrate/nitrate/ammonia. I want to try and get some fish in there today to keep the cycle going, my only problem being, I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the fish I'm looking for at my local fish stores. If I choose rummynose, how many should I add into the tank? I've read online some tend to die the first couple of days.