· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Question What species is this catfish?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I'm new here, so I apologize if I'm doing anything wrong.

Anyways, I have a catfish that I caught at a local river and I've had it for about 2 or 3 years. I've always wondered what kind of catfish it could be. Could anyone help me determine it's species?

It's about 7 or 8 inches long and was caught in central Texas.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bailey3553; 09-02-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know but, how big is your tank? and what else do you have in there?
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    "What will they write upon my grave
    A free man born as a king, who died as a slave" -Logic

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 10 gallon tank, and the catfish is the only fish I have because he'll eat any other fish I put in there. I did have another of the same species but it died when I moved.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    Most catfish caught in this area are going to be either a channel catfish or a red tailed catfish. I think that one is a channel cat. I suggest taking it back to where you found it.

They are fine in your tank as babies

But not so much as adults

When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    Umm yeah I would let go and if you want a catfish get a 30g tank and get smooth natural gravel and get some upside down catfish.
    +1 to mommy1's post.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure he has ich right now, so should I finish trying to treat him, or just let him go now?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Umm well you have to get a mazda that says its safe for scaleless fish, and I would post pics before doing anything, I wouldn't let it go I would sell, you could take to a lfs, or a lps(local pond store not lps coral).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

4 Not allowed!
    This is one of the reasons you shouldn't catch fish that are inappropriate for an aquarium and put them in an aquarium. Of course don't release him with ich. In fact I'm not sure you should release him at all since he has come down with an illness. You can't eat him, because he is being kept in an aquarium with chemicals, you can't release him because you might introduce some illness into the river. People shouldn't catch fish and stick them into an aquarium unless they know the species they are catching. This fish needs a pond.

I have used Quick Cure with catfish in the past.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't even want to release it...He's become my pet and I really hope he survives the ich. I actually have a pond that I could put him in, but it has other fish in it.

Plus, why would I want to eat it? I've had him as a pet for almost 3 years now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What type and size of fish are in the pond? If you feed them well they don't eat fish.