· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Cheers to a fellow SE Texan! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry about your pup - SeaLady For your loss - steeler58 You need a Cory! - SeaLady 
    Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos 
    Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl 

0 Not allowed!
    You can just use the hob. Some people like rocks for looks or hidey spots for fish.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    You can just use the hob. Some people like rocks for looks or hidey spots for fish.
    I have read that an established setup with live rocks may not need other filtration, but I don't know that I want to start out that way. Maybe because I am hardheaded? lol

With being new to sw I am trying to study up on the different styles of tanks. The fish only tank is what is appealing to me. But I will be sure to have something in the tank to be used as hidey holes for any critters that need them. :)

3 Not allowed!
    Your live rock is you biological filter media

The below link has a lot more detailed information

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/com...ine-aquariums/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Your live rock is you biological filter media

The below link has a lot more detailed information

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/com...ine-aquariums/
    So I won't be able to have a FO tank? It has to be a FOWLR set up?

1 Not allowed!
    Read through the link I provided

You can do either, but live rock is always best IME and IMO. I have done both and had by far better results with live rock. The minerals that will be leached out into the water from the live rock will help to maintain the water parameters closer to that of the ocean
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Read through the link I provided

You can do either, but live rock is always best IME and IMO. I have done both and had by far better results with live rock. The minerals that will be leached out into the water from the live rock will help to maintain the water parameters closer to that of the ocean
    Ok. Thank you.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the link, that's what I was trying to say, that the LR with filter the water and will therefor make it easier.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you. I understand that everyone is trying to make it easier, but I started this thread to find out the best way to set up a FO tank, not the best way to set up a FOWLR tank. So I am frustrated and discouraged, but that's my fault for not redirecting the conversation back to my original post when it started going off track. I know that everyone here wants to be helpful and I appreciate that.

1 Not allowed!
    I did not mean any disrespect by my earlier posts, only trying to offer you the benefit of some of my lessons learned setting up very easy to care for systems.

If you are going for a set-up without live rock, then I would suggest a very over sized canister filter that would give you about 200 gph of flow and some very large media compartments. Something like a fluval 405 or a Rena XP2 or 3 (M or L) would work best. If possible, use some rubber rock in the filter as your biological filter media. That should work very well and also give you some of the benefits of have live rock in your set-up. That should also be a little cheaper than purchasing other media like boi-max. I would not suggest filter floss as that would most likely lead to more problems than it's worth

Edit:

Forgot to mention, please keep in mind that you will likely need to clean the filter weekly to help keep your nitrate levels down
    Last edited by Cliff; 08-29-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Awards Showcase

Cheers to a fellow SE Texan! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry about your pup - SeaLady For your loss - steeler58 You need a Cory! - SeaLady 
    Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos 
    Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl 

0 Not allowed!
    thank you Cliff
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast