· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

come on in and sit a spell...welcome - SeaLady Thanks for the thumbs! - Slaphppy7 just because - cm12setx for surrving dinner with in laws - cm12setx doing a great build on your tanks! - SeaLady 
    Heres to new fish!!!! Yay - SeaLady Congrats on the new fish! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for all the thumbs up! - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    For being my "rock" star, LOL! - Slaphppy7 you have come to the dark side:) mah haha - aquariumlover10 for cycling your tank - cm12setx For almost completing the cycle of 2nd tank - afro123 Congrats on the cycled tank! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF. - cm12setx Thanks. - mommy1 TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF! Have a drinkie drink! - Compass 

Default Help with fish only setup

0 Not allowed!
    I want to set up a small (20 gallon long or possibly 29 gallon) sw tank and would like to start simple and work forward from there, so I need help figuring out FO setup.

I know I will need:
    Tank
    Hood / glass cover
    Lighting
    Heater
    Power head or circulation pump
    Thermometer
    Substrate
    Refractometer
    Salt mix

I am considering a hood and light combo. The ones I have found that I like only have one bulb. I don't plan on ever having corals or anything that would have to be fragged.

For substrate I am considering aragonite sand.

I have an AquaClear HOB power filter that I would like to use with biomedia only (no sponge, foam or activated carbon).

Should I get a power head or a circulation pump? Will one be enough or should I get one for each end of the tank with the HOB in the middle?

Will I need a container of some kind filled with premixed saltwater with a heater and some kind of circulation to have on hand for water changes?

My goal is to start simple, simple, simple and as inexpensively as possible. I may eventually want to graduate to a FOWLR setup, but don't see myself ever wanting a reef setup.

Advice, suggestions, discussion?

0 Not allowed!
    You forgot to mention quarried rock. Most here will tell you live rock, I'm not one of them...
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15

Awards Showcase

come on in and sit a spell...welcome - SeaLady Thanks for the thumbs! - Slaphppy7 just because - cm12setx for surrving dinner with in laws - cm12setx doing a great build on your tanks! - SeaLady 
    Heres to new fish!!!! Yay - SeaLady Congrats on the new fish! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for all the thumbs up! - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    For being my "rock" star, LOL! - Slaphppy7 you have come to the dark side:) mah haha - aquariumlover10 for cycling your tank - cm12setx For almost completing the cycle of 2nd tank - afro123 Congrats on the cycled tank! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF. - cm12setx Thanks. - mommy1 TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF! Have a drinkie drink! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    If I am doing FO, do I still have to have the quarried rock?

0 Not allowed!
    Umm I would get a filter rated for x3 what tank volume is if no rock, why not just get dry rock from lfs, or www.tbsaltwater.com? And let it aquaculture while in tank and get a couple pounds of LR later for the hitchhikers?

0 Not allowed!
    And yes you'll need a container of premixed headed circulated sw on hand.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    Umm I would get a filter rated for x3 what tank volume is if no rock, why not just get dry rock from lfs, or www.tbsaltwater.com? And let it aquaculture while in tank and get a couple pounds of LR later for the hitchhikers?
    I can't find the rocks I want at a price I am willing to pay and I would like to start simply. The rocks can be added later, if I decide I want them.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah but not trying to argue but the rocks will make it simpler, tan just a hob filter or anything.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    Yeah but not trying to argue but the rocks will make it simpler, tan just a hob filter or anything.
    How will the rocks make it simpler?

0 Not allowed!
    Because of the BB, and micro and macro organisms will filter water and provide food for inverts and smaller fish, also it keeps the paremeters stabler, and they will look nicer.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    They will look nicer? I think that would depend on the rocks and who's looking at them.
    I guess I don't understand why I can't use the HOB filter that I already have and fill it with biomedia for the BB and to filter the water.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast