· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I completely agree dutchi. For his theory to really be true, it would probably have taken years to evolve them to that point. Its like saying dogs had evolved to eating only man-made food and would not eat a chicken breast if it was placed on a plate in front of it.
    55 Gallon Native Species: Bluegill, mosquito fish, fathead minnows
    29 Gallon: Pearl Gourami, Brilliant Rasbora, Bristle Nose
    10 Gallon: Beta, Clown Pleco

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishhook View Post
    I completely agree dutchi. For his theory to really be true, it would probably have taken years to evolve them to that point. Its like saying dogs had evolved to eating only man-made food and would not eat a chicken breast if it was placed on a plate in front of it.
    I'd fancy some fried chicken now....
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah you can buy females, only listent to the lady with blonde hair at petsmart she the only one tat is suppose to be messing with fish.

1 Not allowed!
    I have some Drift wood from New Zealand’s South Island I started soaking today to cure it for my tank. I am hoping my Pleco like it. I did not know they like to chew on it. I still need to make a cave for it.

0 Not allowed!
    "they" don't like to chew it. Just some species do. Don''t forget that "pleco" is now used for hunderds of very different fish.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    "they" don't like to chew it. Just some species do. Don''t forget that "pleco" is now used for hunderds of very different fish.
    Mine is a Common Pleco and 14" long. I spent a while looking at a bunch of pictures to figure it out.

PS Your kind of rude in the way you respond to a post?? Are you chewing me out?
    Last edited by Plecos; 09-01-2014 at 05:31 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    The name "Common pleco" is for instance used for a long row of different pleco species, such as Bristlenose Catfish ( Ancistrus dolichopterus ), Suckermouth Catfish ( Hypostomus plecostomus ), Sailfin Catfish ( Liposarcus multiradiatus ) and Amazon sailfin catfish ( Liposarcus pardalis ).

The species sold under the name "Common pleco" will normally have similar requirements and we will in this article focus on the needs of these plecos. If you keep some other type of pleco, the safest choice is to try to find species (or at least genus) specific information instead.
    Here is a picture of one just like it;
    adult-common-pleco.jpg
    Last edited by Plecos; 09-01-2014 at 06:08 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    I don't think talldutchie was being rude...just accurate and succinct. We needn't be precious about naming conventions.

I've never seen a bristlenose listed as a common plec. I see "common plec" I just think "big/avoid"!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Umm yeah I agree with dutch, and firefly.
    A common pleco is a common pleco, a bristlenose is a bristle nose, sailfins are different then those too, suckermouth catfish is any catfish with a suckermouth that's a category not a species, and again plecos, you need a bigger tank or need to sell that pleco.

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plecos View Post
    Mine is a Common Pleco and 14" long. I spent a while looking at a bunch of pictures to figure it out.

PS Your kind of rude in the way you respond to a post?? Are you chewing me out?
    Apologies. It's sometimes hard for me to tell the difference between someone who keeps a "pleco" conciously and the many people we get here that plunk one in because "everyone knows you got to have an algae eater, right? The point I keep trying to make is that it's not just one species but many, many different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Plecos View Post
    The name "Common pleco" is for instance used for a long row of different pleco species, such as Bristlenose Catfish ( Ancistrus dolichopterus ), Suckermouth Catfish ( Hypostomus plecostomus ), Sailfin Catfish ( Liposarcus multiradiatus ) and Amazon sailfin catfish ( Liposarcus pardalis ).

The species sold under the name "Common pleco" will normally have similar requirements and we will in this article focus on the needs of these plecos. If you keep some other type of pleco, the safest choice is to try to find species (or at least genus) specific information instead.
    Here is a picture of one just like it;
    adult-common-pleco.jpg
    Sorry but no, I don't agree with you and here's why

1. The actual hypostomus is quite rare these days. Not sure why but until the early parts of this century they were fairly common. These days it's Pterygoplichthys mainly (liposarcus I haven't seen in use in ages, though that name was forgotten by now)
    2. Hypostomus contains a few wood eaters, Pterygoplichthys doesn't seem to.
    3. Ancistrus is rarely sold as common pleco. Unlike Pterygoplichthys they require little protein in their diet.
    4. The various species of Pterygoplichthys can sometimes be difficult to tell apart but it's important since there's dwarf ones with only 10 inch standard length and the big ones of 16-18 inches.

So, I know it's a pet peeve of mine and I sometimes unintentionally annoy people with it but I firmly believe it's important to distinguish between the various species of catfish sold as "pleco" and to pick one that fits the size and conditions in your tank. When kept properly these are wonderful fish that can live for a long, long time!
    Last edited by talldutchie; 09-01-2014 at 10:01 PM.