· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default LED Strip DIY Project.

1 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, just thought I'd share my LED project with everyone.

I recently bought a Fluval Bow 45 gallon tank, it came with one cool white LED bulb strip, which is very bright. Problem is, it doesn't really light the front of the tank at all since it is set near the back and the front is curved. This meant that any time my fish were anywhere other than in the middle of the tank, they looked like shadows since no light was hitting them. I also felt that I needed more light as I added a bunch of live plants. So I found and purchased a 5 meter long ip68 waterproof strip of RGB LEDs.

20140826_153703_resized.jpg

As you can see I cut it up and re-soldered it since it wasn't flexible enough to bend around the lid like that. This was a bigger job than I expected and I would definitely only recommend it if you already have some good experience with a soldering iron. I used a layer of electrical tape followed by a generous amount of water repelling, self adhering plumbers tape to cover up the soldered joints. I used coral glue to stick the strips to the lid.

Total cost of the project was about $140 ($120 for the LEDs, $15 for the glue, the rest I already had.) So far everything is working fine and I'm very pleased with the results. They are excellent as supplemental lighting, but aren't bright enough as main lighting. They really bring out the colors on my fish, especially the blues on my praecox rainbows, even when they're swimming along the front of the tank. Another great feature of this strip is the remote it came with which allows me to control the brightness and color, though only white is really useful. This allows me to gradually increase / decrease the brightness rather than suddenly switch the lights on or off.

All in all it was a rewarding project, but could probably be done cheaper and with less hassle. I don't think the ip68 (Waterproof on all 4 sides, no tape on back) waterproof strip is really necessary, you could probably use ip65 (waterproof on 3 sides, adhesive tape on the back) strips and just get shorter ones, connecting them all at the power source instead of cutting and re-soldering.

Thanks for reading and feel free to ask any questions.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice DIY job on these LEDs...I don't have the talent or the patience, so I just bought this, lol: http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Sa.../dp/B00CMFFMS6
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Very nice DIY job on these LEDs...I don't have the talent or the patience, so I just bought this, lol: http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Sa.../dp/B00CMFFMS6
    LOL..I never would have guessed that.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Really?...c'mon man, you know me, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Good lord, where did you buy those leds? I just popped in a quick search on Amazon for 5m of led strip lights and $120 seems like you got shafted!

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Wat...ed+light+strip

http://www.amazon.com/White-Strip-li...ed+light+strip

Unless the ones you got are some type of special aquarium leds?? Could be why i guess. lol
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    The ones I got are ip68 waterproof, which means they're waterproof on all 4 sides and filled with silicone. So they're even submersible. The ones you see are ip65, which are probably good enough, but are not waterproof on all 4 sides and filled with silicone. I just didn't want to take the chance.

But yeah, I didn't do much research to find better prices, just found a shop near my place that sold what I needed and went because I was bored and wanted something to do right away.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Man, I wouldn't think 4th side would be 100$ extra! haha. Light looks good though. I'll be doing something similar before long, but I think I'll have to get the ip68 ones since you can submerse them. Was thinkin' bout putting them around the inside rim of the tank lol
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Great job on lights, really neat to be able to control brightness and timing like that, eons ago I fabricated a rack of lights c for my 125 salt tank, almost need a crane to lift it, no LEDS back then. Go ahead guys, lets hear the jokes about discovering fire and kerosene lamps, lol

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Remember when the wheel was invented..........
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    NO, young man, I don't, but sure would've helped move those heavy a_ _ stones we used to build the pyramids with.