· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Substrate Change..

0 Not allowed!
    So, as you can see from the title, I'm going to be changing my substrate this upcoming weekend. I'll be changing it to some plain old pool filter sand from my black+white gravel, as I honestly love that look a lot more. I'll be putting my plants in the substrate, and will be providing root tabs and ferts for them.

My question is this. I dont really want to completely dismantle the tank and take every single ounce of water out of it to change the substrate unless I absolutely have to (as I dont have a python, so its a very laborious task to even do a water change), so can I pour the sand directly into the water and allow it to settle (removing my filter to a bucket of old tank water of course), or would it just stay cloudy and never really settle?

As I said, I'll absolutely remove every bit if I need to. Just would prefer not to. lol
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.

0 Not allowed!
    Pool filter sand is pre-washed and washed well so that won't cloud.

Pouring it in over the old substrate will make a thick layer where old bits of gravel will work themselves up to the surface over time.

A 20g isn't big, assuming it's on a stand you could easily syphon it out with a bit of garden hose.

Default Substrate Change..

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Not over here..... PFS will cloud the water just like anything else if you don't wash it. "Prewashed" is a joke in my experience, but I've only got like 300 lbs of it in my tanks.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    You're the first person to tell me that. OVer here people either buy builder's or paving sand at 2 euros a bag and spend an hour or so rinsing it or the pay 12 euros a bag for pool filter and can dump it in without any action.

So, there's different kinds then.

0 Not allowed!
    I won't be the last. I've used 3 different brands and they've all been quite dirty. Perhaps they do a better job in Europe with their "prewashing". Here, prewashed means no debris....still plenty of dust though.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Default Substrate Change..

0 Not allowed!
    I did a sand washing tutorial on another forum. A "wash" consists of filling the bucket with water and simultaneously swirling my hand so that the sand gets suspended. Once the water reached the top I stopped, waited a few seconds and then poured out the water. That's A wash.

3rd.jpg
    This is after 3 washes

5th.jpg

5 washes

7th.jpg

7 washes...starting to get clear

sand.jpg

this was all the sand I was washing

pour5.jpg

and the fruits of my labor
    Last edited by jaysee; 08-26-2014 at 01:15 PM.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's clean, well worth the effort I'd say.

0 Not allowed!
    I want my sand so clean that I can stir it up and the water is still clear. Does it NEED to be that clean to use it? No. But since I'm already cleaning it, I might as well do the job completely is how I look at it.

In my opinion it's good to give sand a preliminary wash to see what you're working with before fully committing to it.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Well I can attest to how clean your tank is, the moss you sent to me was clean, and didn't even have an odor to it after, even after spending 4 days in the postal system before delivered to me, again thanks for moss, AL10 also very appreciative.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it as always!

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post

Pouring it in over the old substrate will make a thick layer where old bits of gravel will work themselves up to the surface over time.

A 20g isn't big, assuming it's on a stand you could easily syphon it out with a bit of garden hose.
    So I can just drop it in, dont have to remove all the water to put the sand in right?

And Jaysee, I'll more than likely give it a real good wash before I use it. I'm getting a 50lb bag for a little over 3 bucks, and what I dont use will either be stocked for other tanks or for my nephews sand box! haha. Thank you for posting the tutorial for me. I wouldve hated to see my water that cloudy had I not washed it first!
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.