· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfish View Post
    Should I get algae killer?
    No

It would be best to first identify the cause of the algae
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

1 Not allowed!
    First take the pleco to lfs and the cory too. Also when you do bring water sample for them to test. Second can you change light amount the tank.gets both direct light in hood of tank and indriect light aka sun light. Example put blanket over tank for three days to black out it. Finialy like Cliff said large water changes are needed. In ten gallon tank like seven gallons. A uvis a waist of money for a ten gallon tank imo.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

1 Not allowed!
    UV would definitely take care of the green water. Green killing machine costs like $50 from petsmart and has a built in pump, which is good because it's perfectly matched to the bulb.

Would be great to know why the water is green. Clearing the green water with UV does not prohibit finding the cause, unless it never comes back....in which case who cares. If anything the UV could serve as a tool for FINDING the cause, if they turn it off after clearing the water. This would allow for tackling one variable at a time.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Default re do on last line.

1 Not allowed!
    A uv light is not cost effective for a ten gallon tank imo.
    Fishes go "pook pook"

0 Not allowed!
    Yes you've already said you think it's a waste of money. I doubt you've looked up the green killing machine - $50 isn't much in my opinion. I think the OP can decide if it's worthwhile or not.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I really don't want to spend $50 and if I was going to spend that much for my fish I'd use it to buy a bigger tank!
    I think it's because the tank is near a window and the light is on all day.
    So, there's no quick fix? I can black it out for awhile. The pleco IS helping eat the algae which is nice.

0 Not allowed!
    I was not able to edit post #12 and so i re wrote it out. Not trying to bash what you said. And you are right it is the op's choice on what to do.
    Fishes go "pook pook"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfish View Post
    I really don't want to spend $50 and if I was going to spend that much for my fish I'd use it to buy a bigger tank!
    I think it's because the tank is near a window and the light is on all day.cut the time the tank light is on. And block or shut blind in the window.
    So, there's no quick fix? I can black it out for awhile. The pleco IS helping eat the algae which is nice.
    No quick fix. But some easy ones to do. See color.relpy above and as said before large wcs.
    Fishes go "pook pook"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I should black it out for a few days and see what happens BEFORE I do big water changes? When I did water changes before I always cleaned the gravel. I was afraid of over cleaning it so it wouldn't have any good bacteria in there.
    Oh and should I still put the clear water solution in it?

Default Greenish cloudy water! PLEASE HELP!

1 Not allowed!
    No don't use any chemicals.

Te gravel vac doesn't suck the bacteria off the gravel so no worries. Too, you don't have to vac the gravel when changing the water.

I missed your stock list - would certainly work on that a little or you may end up with different kind of cloudy water.

If the tank can't be moved from the window, then a good background would go a long way to preventing the light from entering the tank. Background can be applied to the side glass too if it gets a good amount of light through it. That's a pretty cheap fix.
    Last edited by jaysee; 08-26-2014 at 01:07 AM.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10