· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

Default Diatoms in my 20 gallon tall

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is only a month and a half old so I know why I'm getting diatoms in my tank. I have 2 nerite snails that are doing a pretty good job in keeping the glass clean, the problem is that the diatoms are on my plants. They are most noticeable on my narrow leaf java fern and my anubias nana, both that are attached to my driftwood pieces.

If i add 3 Oto cats to my tank it will over populate it at 130-140% stocking. I don't know if i'm feeding too much flake to my fish (i feed them a pinch or two once a day), that could also be part of the problem as i'm running a school of eight harlequin rasboras and 8 rainbowfish that don't get larger than 1.5 inches when full grown. There are also 3 cory cats to clean up the bottom.

I know my cherry and algae eating shrimp can't get all the diatoms on the plants. The build up isn't too bad on the glass due to snails as I stated.

Is there anything I can do. I'm on a budget as well. On the up side i see some small airbubbles on my narrow leaf java fern.

3.5 Gallon Tank = Bella Blue Luna (obtained 5/11/19) - I think a blue mustard female halfmoon

RIP - Helios HM BETTA 03/2016 to 12/31/17

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Can you limit the light tothe tank? As in the light on the tank. Or do you have other light sourse like window providing more light?
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    Can you limit the light tothe tank? As in the light on the tank. Or do you have other light sourse like window providing more light?
    The light sources for my tank is 2 marineland double bright light fixtures that are 450 lumens each on the top of the tank.

However i do occasionally open my one window shade full tilt in the afternoon so it also gets some actual sunlight into the tank plants. The tank against the wall in my living room, the window is to the left of the wall area so when the sun comes in, it comes in at an angle to the tank.

Two options here, I could remove one of the marineland light fixtures on my tank and only use one for the whole tank. the other option is just not opening that window shade at all.

thoughts?

3.5 Gallon Tank = Bella Blue Luna (obtained 5/11/19) - I think a blue mustard female halfmoon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Diatoms don't need light, it isn't algae, so limiting the light source really doesn't help. As you know they will go away when as the tank matures and the silicates are used up. Before that happens, you can gently rub the diatoms off your plants before each water change and take them out with the water.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Diatoms don't need light, it isn't algae, so limiting the light source really doesn't help. As you know they will go away when as the tank matures and the silicates are used up. Before that happens, you can gently rub the diatoms off your plants before each water change and take them out with the water.
    I will try to do that today since i break my water changes up to two a week because 6 gallons is about 30% water total and with displacement i break that into 2 water changes of 2.5 gallons per week with about 2-3 days between each change. I can't do this for my smaller leafed plants, but definitely will try to do so for the Java Fern and anubias. Just need to find something long enough to reach so that I can wipe the leaves off without disturbing the way i have my driftwood stacked.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    +1 to Mommy's post. When the silicates are gone, so will the diatoms

I would suggest increasing your water changes to two 50% water changes each week for the next few weeks. By changing only a combined 30% with many smaller waterchanges, you are not going to get rid of the silicate build up that is causing the outbreak. I would also suggest completing a few extra gravel vacs to help flush out more of the diatoms from your substrate.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i have no problem increasing the water changes, but since my tank has got so many plantings on the gravel i would be afraid to do that too much so as not to disturb the roots of the plantings. I will try to vacuum a little bit though with what i can reach without displacing the areas where i have the heaviest plantings, unfortunately that's only the right side middle as everything else is too heavily planted.

I knew my silicates were my problem, I just have to watch my plants if i vacuum any.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I carefully removed the driftwood out of my tank during the 1st 50% change and trimmed as many discolored leaves off my java fern as i could. Also vacuumed where the driftwood was, as it's the only spot in the tank without plants.

From the sounds of the advice from both of you as my tank is still that new i may be doing the 50 percent's twice a week for at least a month or two...i'll keep you guys posted.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you mommy1 and cliff. Learned some thing new.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari View Post
    From the sounds of the advice from both of you as my tank is still that new i may be doing the 50 percent's twice a week for at least a month or two...i'll keep you guys posted.
    It's that your substrate is new. That is were your diatoms are coming from.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]