· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Missed you on my turn to buy!! - steeler1   This round is on me! - JudiJetson   Dude you can't drink the medal I sent :0 - JudiJetson   thanks for the help today - Cliff   TGIF!  Hope you have a good one. =] - KevinVA   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - mojosodope   

Default Algae out of control

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, as many of you know I have a couple aquarium journals on this forum (links in my signature) but I am only recently getting back to being an active member after a long hiatus.

I've sorta let the algae situation get out of control in my 150 and I need all of your help getting back on track.

Note: this started becoming a problem right after I changed my substrate from pool filter sand over to eco-complete / flourite mix.

Attached are some pictures of the problem; any assistance is welcome.

Thanks,
    Kavish

P.S a couple of you might be thinking why I am posting for help with this, and the reason's simple. My expertise when it comes to algae and plant care are somewhat limited so.. When it doubt. Ask. 😆

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    Hi. Looks like what you have is plain old nasty diatoms. I fought that stuff for nearly 2 years in my 90.

I ruled out phosphates - they weren't the culprits - but you might check yours and if they are above 0, that could be the problem. Algae caused by phosphates can be corrected by chemi pure.

If no phosphates you might want to look at how much time your lights are on and play with that a little. Too much light could cause algae - too little will not be enough for your plants.

High nitrates may also cause this algae.

I added plants. I rebooted my canisters and removed all soft media and filled them with only ceramic rings.

Still had the algae.

What FINALLY fixed my problem was when I started dosing the tank with Metricide. http://www.amazon.com/10-1400--Disin...s=metricide+14

It's been a miracle. I don't inject C02 for my plants so this works as a liquid replacement + it kills the algae within a week or so.

Not sure what you have in your tank for stock but ottos are great at eating algae if you want a totally natural fix - you'd have to have large number of them in a 150 gal. Nerites snails also work well = again, you'd need a large amount. I have a royal pleco that also eats algae like a machine but even he couldn't keep up with this stuff until I started with the metricide

If you go that route, I'd start out slowly with 10ml a day then bump it up toe 20ml a day over a 3 or 4 week period. Also, it comes with a small bottle of powder activator. THROW THAT AWAY. You use that only if you want to use the product as an industrial cleaner. Sounds harsh, yesh, but my fish are thriving and it's been months since I've had to clean any of the hardscape, my driftwood is whistle clean and my plants are mostly free as well.

I dose 15 ml (or a tablespoon) daily and my tank has been about 95% algae free ever since.

Someone will no doubt have a more technical explanation for you. This is my personal experience after all other suggestions were exhausted and the metricide was brought to my attention. I will ALWAYS use it.

BTW - I have a 1 inch gravel substrate in this tank. My two other tanks have eco complete (switched from gravel about a year ago) and neither of them have any algae issue. They are smaller tanks and I do have nerites snails in them but apparently there is something about the 90 that breeds algae. Anyway = I don't think it was necessarily because you changed substrate unless, as I suggested above, your phosphates increased as a result of the change in substrate. One more thing - I have MTS in my two smaller tanks that constantly clean and aerate the soil. I don't have them in the 90 - at least I haven't had them until just recently when I noticed 1 on the bottom.

Good luck
    Last edited by fishmommie; 08-25-2014 at 01:47 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Missed you on my turn to buy!! - steeler1   This round is on me! - JudiJetson   Dude you can't drink the medal I sent :0 - JudiJetson   thanks for the help today - Cliff   TGIF!  Hope you have a good one. =] - KevinVA   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - mojosodope   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your reply FM, I have a gallon of metricide so I'll start dosing again and play around with the parameters like you suggested. I don't have a phosphate tester kit so I'll order one. Unfortunately Oto cats have never been popular here for some reason and there hasn't been a supply of them in the country for many years, I tested my nitrates and they're almost unreadable.

I ran chemipure in my FX5 once but it clogged the entire thing, I might need to get a smaller bag, also I used to run a UV sterilizer so that's something I can maybe look into re-adding.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    Another way to keep under control is get about 20 ottos and a few amano shrimp if needed.
    "I've always thought that if
    I learn from mistakes that I'd make
    Even the losses into victories"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I don't believe in adding fish to solve a problem, that's just me. Like I said otos aren't even available in my country and my rainbows will tear any shrimp to pieces. Lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I don't have anything against that but I think that as long as the paremeters and stuff are fine but there's still algae I think that addingnfish is fine, oh duh I forgot your in trinidad, if the algae gets out of control and paremeter are fine I would get a pleco that eats algae.
    "I've always thought that if
    I learn from mistakes that I'd make
    Even the losses into victories"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Can you brake up your lighting schedule 2 hrs on 1 off 4 hrs on. Sort of like that.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    All good suggestions made above and I'm sure they work great of some. In my case, I tried every one of them and more. If you have tons of time on your hands LOL you can read through my 90 journal and see my trials and tribulations. I could kiss KevinVA's feet for suggesting the Metricide :o)
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Hi. Looks like what you have is plain old nasty diatoms. I fought that stuff for nearly 2 years in my 90.

I ruled out phosphates - they weren't the culprits - but you might check yours and if they are above 0, that could be the problem. Algae caused by phosphates can be corrected by chemi pure.
    Err... actually that's not true. Phosphates are a macro nutrient so you need those. Preferably in a ratio of 1:10 phosphate/nitrate

If no phosphates you might want to look at how much time your lights are on and play with that a little. Too much light could cause algae - too little will not be enough for your plants.

High nitrates may also cause this algae.
    Define high.
    I added plants. I rebooted my canisters and removed all soft media and filled them with only ceramic rings.

Still had the algae.

What FINALLY fixed my problem was when I started dosing the tank with Metricide. http://www.amazon.com/10-1400--Disin...s=metricide+14

It's been a miracle. I don't inject C02 for my plants so this works as a liquid replacement + it kills the algae within a week or so.
    That is indeed a fierce algaecide. However if you starve your plants and then throw this at them you're going to get little to no algae but not necessarily healthy plants.

BTW - I have a 1 inch gravel substrate in this tank. My two other tanks have eco complete (switched from gravel about a year ago) and neither of them have any algae issue. They are smaller tanks and I do have nerites snails in them but apparently there is something about the 90 that breeds algae. Anyway = I don't think it was necessarily because you changed substrate unless, as I suggested above, your phosphates increased as a result of the change in substrate. One more thing - I have MTS in my two smaller tanks that constantly clean and aerate the soil. I don't have them in the 90 - at least I haven't had them until just recently when I noticed 1 on the bottom.

Good luck

A basic understanding of plants never hurts. Eco complete is better for plant growth and allows them to out compete algae.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

5 Not allowed!
    TD - Thanks for the corrections on phosphates. It had been so long since I tested that I forgot the desired level.
    FYI: When I set up the 90 I never intended to have plants. So this tank has been in constant evolution as I added more and more. Most of the plants are attached to driftwood or rocks or in terracotta pots as the cichlids uproot pretty much everything I attempt to plant in the substrate.

In addition to curbing the algae (and trust me, you would not find it in the least appealing when it covers every leaf, rock and piece of driftwood) the metricide has proven to be very beneficial to the plants as well so I'm not sure what you mean by starving them. While I'll never have the knowledge you and many others here have about plants, I do have a bit more than a basic understanding of what they need for healthy growth. My 15 and 30 are flourishing so I do know that eco complete is a great benefit to them. And future plans for the 90 include swapping out the gravel for a mix of eco complete and black sand. Oh - and I do use Flourish root tabs for the potted plants to insure they get a little extra nutrition.
    When weekly W/C and deep cleaning and countless other methods failed to eliminate the algae after almost 2 years of attempts, the Metricide was a last resort - with excellent results.

So - short of commenting on my method of treatment, what suggestions do you have for MoJo?