· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

2 Not allowed!
    Hmm.. ok. good point there mum.

Metricide is, according to google, just the concentrated version of Glutaraldehyde which is sold under various brand names as liquid co2. Bacteria and light help to break it down ultimately to some h2o and some co2. Until it's broken down it acts as an algaecide.

So, what that gets you is some extra co2 in the water, which every green living thing uses when there's light. If you combine that approach with cutting down on the nitrates and phosphates then there's a lot of co2 for the plants to use but no other nutrients. So, no real plant growth.

Approaching this from the other side would be to make sure there's enough trace and macro nutrients so that your plants can use up the co2 and eat up the rest before the algae recover from the metricide attack.

My advise would be to get on a regular dosing regime with the metricide (and regular as in the same amount and as much as possible the same time of day, this stuff is best dosed in the first hour of light) additionally make sure the lights are on a timer and not on too long (10 hrs max, 8 hrs would be good) for human enjoyement you can cut that photo period in 2 so that the lights are on in the morning and in the evening.

Additionally see about getting a phosphate testing kit and test phosphate and nitrates daily during 2 weeks and record that. Combine that with a test of tap water and you can come up with a plan based on what's in the tap and what's in the tank from the fish and fish food.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Im not to sure about this but why not go for Siamese algae eater(?)
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Something else it could be is red algae. It coated my plants pretty thick when I first started out. The only thing I did was keep adding plants until it out competed the algae. Old leaves still have it on them but it has not been able to spread to my new growth. The anubias I had was hardest hit by this stuff and now they are as clean as whistle. I don't dose the first thing. Just over populate my tank. Floating plants have been a real help to me as well.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So you saying that keeping plants that grow fast will not allow algae to take over a tank?
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by afro123 View Post
    So you saying that keeping plants that grow fast will not allow algae to take over a tank?
    Yes, they absorb the nutrients in the tank and leave none for the algae. However, if you don't dose with some kind of fertilizer you will end up having to as the plants will start to out-compete each other. It's all about balance. For me I don't dose, I've slowly added more plants and the algae has gone away, but now I'm starting to see some nutrient deficiencies in my crypts. I have basically maxed out what my tank can produce on its own and it is time to start adding some nutrients to supplement and sustain.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I have no helpful advice regarding algae, but just dropped in to say that I love your fish! Even as red and black striped blurs they are spectacular. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Yes, they absorb the nutrients in the tank and leave none for the algae. However, if you don't dose with some kind of fertilizer you will end up having to as the plants will start to out-compete each other. It's all about balance. For me I don't dose, I've slowly added more plants and the algae has gone away, but now I'm starting to see some nutrient deficiencies in my crypts. I have basically maxed out what my tank can produce on its own and it is time to start adding some nutrients to supplement and sustain.
    And to complicate matters... this will be different for each tank because tap water and fish output will differ greatly

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    And to complicate matters... this will be different for each tank because tap water and fish output will differ greatly
    Of course. It took me two years to get to where I am. I didn't mind the algae enough to really go after it, it was more just happenstance because I added plants I liked and wanted in my tank and I just noticed one day the algae had just stopped producing. Even the dread Black Beard Algae never got out of hand. I think I have only one or two tufts left.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    My blackbeard bothers me because it's a visible reminder of my lack of dilligence when it comes to using liquid co2. The rest.. I'm actually balancing the nutrients so that I don't lose the clad algae (close relative of the moss ball) that's coated large parts of my wood and rocks.

You can see what I mean in the background here:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah, that is very pretty. Probably one of the few algaes people would want to have.