· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

no door or window will stand in your way - cm12setx   You need some fish! - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Wow, never thought about petting zoo, we have snakes, an occasional gator, fox, squirrel, rabbit, deer, wild turkey, opossums, coyote, armadillos, raccoons cats, dogs, chickens, and every bird imaginable. Got rid of cows, horses, and goats. Bummer, think of all the aquarium money we could have made.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah I hope we can get land.you can sell meat.
    "I've always thought that if
    I learn from mistakes that I'd make
    Even the losses into victories"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wayhilc View Post
    Wow, never thought about petting zoo, we have snakes, an occasional gator, fox, squirrel, rabbit, deer, wild turkey, opossums, coyote, armadillos, raccoons cats, dogs, chickens, and every bird imaginable. Got rid of cows, horses, and goats. Bummer, think of all the aquarium money we could have made.
    I think that is pretty cool :)
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I thought this was beautiful aquascaping. The plants and rock would work well for a brackish setup. They used java fern, java moss and lava rock.

brackish.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    I thought this was beautiful aquascaping. The plants and rock would work well for a brackish setup. They used java fern, java moss and lava rock.

brackish.jpg
    That is probably the best brackish tank I've seen. Though I personally would have used a light colored sand as the substrate. I've always liked the idea of a mangrove tank, but to get it to where I'd want with the roots and all would take YEARS. lol
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I couldn't figure out if the substrate was coarse sand or gravel, but agree that light sand would look good in that setup. I've seen a few pics of the mangrove tanks with the open tops and the roots do look amazing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    It does look incredible :)
    But correct me if I am wrong Java moss can only survive in lightly brackish water right?
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by afro123 View Post
    It does look incredible :)
    But correct me if I am wrong Java moss can only survive in lightly brackish water right?
    I'm not sure about the exact salinity, but will check into it. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Java moss can tolerate SG up to 1.005. Java fern up to 1.013. I found another good article on brackish systems:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...s/brackish.htm

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    After spending several weeks researching and trying to plan a sw setup and experiencing a lot of frustration, ups and downs and just generally unhappy and stressed out, I'm back to planning a brackish tank and feel happy and excited again. Hooray!

Since there is not a specific thread for brackish tank journals and I've already rambled all around on this thread, I guess this will be my journal. :)

I'm still playing around with the layout, but am fairly pleased with this one, except for the right side. I'd like to put in a few mangroves (probably on the left) and some java fern scattered about. I may have some java moss too, but that will depend on the salinity.

rock layout 9-21-14.jpg

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast