· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Settling in

1 Not allowed!
    I wonder if one could safely treat water (with Prime or similar), then freeze it.

I like your bottle method though Matt -- no reason to run the risk!
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by James` View Post
    You will seriously benefit from Reverse Osmosis water (No DI necessary). Your LFS may sell RO water if you do not want to buy the system. Having 2 5gallons jubs of RO water around would be a good idea. This will remove all impurities from the H2O.
    Reverse Osmosis does not remove ammonia, deionization does. If you have too much ammonia in your tap water, you need a RO/DI unit. I use 100% RO/DI in my tanks.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The bottle would work better guess I never thought of that plus

0 Not allowed!
    Ice cubes?? Tell us more - how big of a tank? How many cubes? What impact on temp did it have? For how long?

The last question is the big one. Unless you're going to constantly be trying to cool your tank, what's the point? Why worry about lowering the temp when it's just going to rise again. Here's the question - if cooling the tank down really worked, why put the fish through continual temperature swings? Up down up down up down. If it's not a drastic enough change to make a difference in that regard, then why even bother worrying about it in the first place?
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady 
    Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    No one here has stated that ice cubes were used in their tank(s).

Why so many questions, about something that you assume?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Default Settling in

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    No one here has stated that ice cubes were used in their tank(s).
    Post #18 they suggest it. My apologies for not quoting it.
    Last edited by jaysee; 08-29-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady 
    Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    Post #18 they suggest it
    I believe it would be beneficial if you would "Reply With Quote", instead of generally replying in a thread.

That way, we know whose post you are addressing

EDIT: LOL
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 08-29-2014 at 02:44 AM.

Default Settling in

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I believe it would be beneficial if you would "Reply With Quote", instead of generally replying in a thread.

That way, we know whose post you are addressing
    I posted directly after the person who suggested the ice cubes post, and that post was directly tied to their ice cube post. I assumed legion would know it was them that I was addressing. I figured others might see that too but I will quote more in the future to keep everyone up to speed.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    I posted directly after the person who suggested the ice cubes post, and that post was directly tied to their ice cube post. 5 others posted before you did, including yours truly I assumed legion would know it was them that I was addressing. Assumptions can make fools of us all I figured others might see that too but I will quote more in the future to keep everyone up to speed. I believe it would certainly help

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    My apologies to the OP, I did not intend to direct this thread into an irrelevant tangent

I am very glad to hear that the mollies and platys are doing fine...it is through your effort that they will thrive

Good job!...and continue to update us on the tank...pics are always welcome (hint, hint)

Slap-