· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Seriously, get the API Master Freshwater test kit. This kit has liquids you mix with tank water in test tubes. Test strips do not test for ammonia and you are going need that for going through the cycling process properly.
    I sure will.... I have not set up the 37 at all yet. Waiting for money *lol* and to get a good solid plan together, I just got this to test the existing water in the 20Gal.... I sure will be getting the big test kit when I set this new tank up.
    20Gal Freshwater Community ~ 5 Neon Tetras, 5 Red Minor Tetras, 3 Black Skirt Tetras, and 1 Albino Cory
    1 Empty 37Gal and 2 Empty 10Gals :(

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Real good article to act as primer to water parameters, what they and how to adjust if needed at this link, www.chelonia.org, then just select water chemistry. GH of 30 ppm = very soft water, KH = the buffering capacity of
    of your water, and determines how stable you pH is.

1 Not allowed!
    Hey All!

Update: I was able to get the API Test Kit to check the water parameters in my existing 20Gal.... Everything checked good!

pH: 6.4 -6.6
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: In between the colors of 20-40ppm

I also checked the pH of my tap water *came in very close to the 6.6 color* and was able to get a Versa-top for the 37Gal... Next I shall work on lights, then decide plants, let it cycle then come back for stocking ideas... So excited :)
    20Gal Freshwater Community ~ 5 Neon Tetras, 5 Red Minor Tetras, 3 Black Skirt Tetras, and 1 Albino Cory

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro702 View Post
    Hey All!

Update: I was able to get the API Test Kit to check the water parameters in my existing 20Gal.... Everything checked good!

pH: 6.4 -6.6
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: In between the colors of 20-40ppm

I also checked the pH of my tap water *came in very close to the 6.6 color* and was able to get a Versa-top for the 37Gal... Next I shall work on lights, then decide plants, let it cycle then come back for stocking ideas... So excited :)
    Good for you :)
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Yay for finding the fish you want! - RiversGirl Sorry for your loss. - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 my fav!  back at 'cha - fishmommie Right back at ya -- cheers! - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.!  I can't drink alone. - Boundava I don't like to drink alone,...  Cheers !!! - Cliff Thanks for the help! - BluewaterBoof Just 'cause - Boundava Yay for SW - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Ok All! Long time no chat... Have been really busy over the holidays, but I wanted to come back to tell you about the tank!
    IMG_20150102_1602141_zps37e3f942.jpg

There it is!

My 37Gal, with 1 T5 10000k and 1 T5 6700k. Low light at 1.6ish wpg. Low tech tank. currently cycling.
    Flora:
    (5-7in) Echinodorus argentinensis
    (2-3in) Microsorium pteropus
    Cryptocoryne wendtii
    2 golf ball size clumps of Vesicularia dubuyana
    Bacopa monnierii
    Egeria (Anacharis) densa
    Hygrophila salicifolia
    Ludwigia repens

I def need some help with stocking this tank... I have no clue what I want... lol. I plan on giving detailed parameters later since atm I'm having some pH swings in this thing. I know I want some clean up crew (shrimps and algae eaters). and maybe Dwarf Rainbows but that is about it. lol Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome back, always good to see an update.

I love that piece of driftwood you've found. Are you considering a background for the back?

Your local water (tap) is very soft, right? What do you mean about the pH swings in your tank, please?

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, There is very soft water here... When I checked tap last it was around 6.5pH but last night the pH of the tank came in around 7.6.

I haven't thought of a background yet. I was hopping the plants would cover the bulk of it.... it I do get one... I'd just want black probably.

1 Not allowed!
    A great many people go with a black background. It makes colors stand out well.

You are still doing your fishless cycle, correct? Reading in here, many folks report that it is normal for the pH to fluctuate while cycling.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the nomination :) - steeler58 Thanks 4 help - pRED T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly Thanks for sharing your knowledge! - Silbar 
    Happy Easter - fishmommie You stumped me! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 5,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 For your 3 year anniversary - Boundava Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    What is your dGH - the general hardness of your water? Neon dwarf rainbows like a bit harder water, with a dGH of 10 (180 ppm)
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    75 gal - Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Peacock Gudgeons
    Future 40 Long - Panda Garras & Glowlight Danios

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"