· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Aquarium lighting

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys

I was think about doing aquarium lighting using LED's, what do you suggest warm white or cool white in colour? And also does this have an effect on fish?

Cheers

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

1 Not allowed!
    Are you wanting to make your own LEDs or are you going to buy an LED fixture?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am going to buy the led's and hook everything up with a transformer, or use the ac voltage led bulbs

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Well that went over my head. hahaha Are you getting LEDs specific for an aquarium or some other kind that you will rig up to work for an aquarium?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd go with the cool white. That or do what I just did and get a strip of RGB color changing LEDs with a remote. I always have mine set on white, because it uses all colors which makes all the colors in your aquarium come out nicer. Another nice feature is the ability to control brightness, which comes in handy if you want to gradually increase / decrease the brightness for the fish rather than suddenly going from dark to bright. Here's a pic of what I did:

20140826_153703_resized.jpg

As far as having an affect on the fish, you shouldn't have a problem. You just want to avoid making it TOO bright, but if you're planning on using LED strips you shouldn't have that problem. Mine are only good as supplemental lighting to my main LED bulb that came with the tank, they wouldn't be bright enough as the main lights.
    Last edited by Adamaphone; 08-27-2014 at 09:03 PM.