· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I can just imagine the movie :P
    Why dont you try and isolate zilla? (and shrimpzilla is the coolest name ever)
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Way to go on starting the cycle! - Compass   Congrats on the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycle and new fish! - Compass   Here is one you can see. - mommy1   You need another fish! - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    It would be an interesting B movie to watch lol

Like I mentioned I wasn't actually expecting to see it first hand, but about 5 seconds before the video starts, ShrimpZilla was swimming fast at him and was grabbing at the smaller one. The smaller one shot backwards really fast and kept back in up...then thats were the video starts.
    55 Gallon: Bluegill
    29 Gallon: Pearl Gourami, Brilliant Rasbora, Bristle Nose
    10 Gallon: Betta, Clown Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    That was close, lol...pretty cool vid!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

3 Not allowed!
    Mmmm popcorn shrimp.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Lucky little guy
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't get this. I'm probably missing the point here. Yes you got a macrobrachium male and you're surprised you're losing the rest of your shrimp? That's a bit like putting in an oscar with a bunch of neons and then be surprised the neons are lunch. But since you're not that naive... what am I not getting?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Way to go on starting the cycle! - Compass   Congrats on the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycle and new fish! - Compass   Here is one you can see. - mommy1   You need another fish! - Compass   

2 Not allowed!
    I guess the point was, like in my original post, I was not sure if they would outright prey on live shrimp. I knew they would eat already deceased shrimp, and from some of the comments, I'm not the only one that was surprised of it's predatory action...So i guess I am naive.

Can you tell me how you sexed it as male as well?
    55 Gallon: Bluegill
    29 Gallon: Pearl Gourami, Brilliant Rasbora, Bristle Nose
    10 Gallon: Betta, Clown Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

2 Not allowed!
    Aha! Now I get it. You didn't know you'd bought 2 different species! Where's the slap forehead smily when you need it?!

OK, ghost shrimp should be your american shrimp of the species Palaemonetes paludosus. That's an algae eating scavenger that isn't very inclined to hunt when it can avoid doing so. It will prefer dead or dying protein over actively swimming tank mates. On the rare cases where it does hunt it will limit itself to smaller bottom dwelling insects.

Your shrimpzilla is a macrobrachium (latin which translates roughly as big armed) species of some kind. (I think it's an Indian species, do me a good still picture if you want me to try and nail it down to the species level) Asian genus of freshwater shrimp where the males develop very large arms and the females somewhat less so. About 10 species routinely traded most of which won't grow beyond 3,4 inches. These are the most aggressive freshwater shrimp you can find. They prefer a protein rich diet and will attempt to eat anything in the tank that's not substantially bigger than themselves.
    If you want to keep it then set up a dedicated tank for it (3-5 g should do nicely but plant and use a lid or hood, these will climb). In your community tank it will hunt and eat all your other shrimp and then start on fish. It's known to take sleeping fish upto it's own size. When kept well these can reach the ripe old age of 3 or even 4 years.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, uh oh....Shrimpzilla is no ordinary shrimp after all!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No. Like I said I was missing the point. Apologies for that. Looking at Fishhook's sig I'd say move the betta on to the 10g or get another 5-ish.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast