· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prazipro

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default Prazipro

1 Not allowed!
    Hello all,

I had an instance of flashing with one of my rosy tetras in my 40 gallon tank last night. I see no visible signs of ich on any of the fish, so I am inclined to believe that the fish may be suffering from gill flukes (not positive about that, though).

I've decided to buy a bottle of Prazipro, and give it a try. I've never treated my tank with any meds, so I am a bit apprehensive about trying them for the first time.

I know many of you here use Prazipro every so often for preventative measures, and also to treat new fish before introducing them to your tanks, and I would like to hear some of your opinions about how to dose, the effectiveness of the med, anything you can share would be greatly appreciated.

I have read that you treat the tank using 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water...do you guys take into consideration the fact that substrate, decor, etc. occupy enough volume of the tank to lessen the dose?...or do you dose for the tank size strictly, regardless of how much volume of other stuff is in the tank?...I have read that you want to be careful not to overdose.

Do you guys do one or two treatments, I believe you are to wait 5-7 days for each treatment, which you perform after a large water change?

What about inverts?...will it harm my snails or shrimp?

I greatly appreciate any input you guys and gals may have

M-
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

1 Not allowed!
    I've never used this particular product myself so I don't know how it affects inverts. Though I would like to put this out there for anyone who doesn't know. Slap also has cory cats and I know certain meds and catfish do not mix well. So keep that in mind.

I have treated for ich and for fungus and I always dosed to the size of the tank. So a 20 gallon tank got a 20 gallon dose, regardless of what substrate or decor was in it. Never had a problem with that.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rob...I've been reading reviews on it, and supposedly it is safe for inverts and snails, but now you have me concerned about the corys

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Thanks Rob...I've been reading reviews on it, and supposedly it is safe for inverts and snails, but now you have me concerned about the corys
    Well it is something that needs to be considered. However, invert safe is a good sign it will be safe for cories.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    I've used this with no issues (tetras, corys, snails), just dose according to directions, if you have to do a water change during treatment, redose for the amount of gallons removed.

2 Not allowed!
    I've used prazipro on some 50 species. Totally safe.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Judi and jaysee, much appreciated...how does one know if one treatment, or two of them back-to back, is needed?

And I'm glad I've saved all of my carbon...it IS needed to remove the Prazipro after treatment, correct?

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Thanks Judi and jaysee, much appreciated...how does one know if one treatment, or two of them back-to back, is needed?

And I'm glad I've saved all of my carbon...it IS needed to remove the Prazipro after treatment, correct?
    I'd follow the full treatment regiment as listed on the bottle. At this point I don't think you need to double up. And yes carbon will purge out the meds when you are done.

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, I've been less than diligent about removing it to no ill effect. I don't use carbon - just do a big water change and I'm done with it.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

2 Not allowed!
    Prazipro is a very benign medication, so I usually don't worry about overdosing a little. It does absolutely no harm to snails, shrimp, plants or filter bacteria, and even sensitive fish like cories take it well.

Usually you don't see flukes with the naked eye, as they are small and tend to hide, but in one case I noticed flukes dangling off the whiskers of several of my cories. I treated with prazipro and within minutes the flukes were visibly writhing, and within hours they dropped off. Certain fluke species have a resistant egg stage though, therefore I think treating multiple times would be wise.