· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default To quarantine, or not to quarantine, that is the question.

1 Not allowed!
    Do any of you just "chance it" and not quarantine new fish? Is there ever a time where it's acceptable to do so? I want to add more fish to my existing tank. I have a 5g I could use, but I'm not sure 6 corys would like living in such a small space for 2+ weeks. My other option would be to wait till I move everything from my 29g to my 30g, and then use the 29g as my quarantine tank.
    I may have just answered my question :D
    29g - planted w/Emperor Tetra & Cardinal Tetra
    10g - planted w/male aqua-mustard gas Dragon Halfmoon Betta
    10g - planted w/male purple-maroon Dumbo Dragon Halfmoon Betta

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    A lot of people "just chance it." The ones that QT are usually the ones that learned the hard way. I for one do not want to learn the hard way so I started QTing fish a while ago. I think if your cories are small (usually the case with a new purchase) they would do ok in a five gallon for a few weeks. You can monitor them for illnesses and since they are very sensitive to medication treatments you can tailor any doses specifically for them. I would put a little sand in the tank and give them some cover to feel comfortable. That could be cheap aquarium decorations, plastic plants, even PVC pipes and terracotta pots.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You're right better to be safe than sorry. Didn't realize my cardinals had anchor worms till about 2 weeks after I put them in my tank. Luckily the medicine I used didn't kill my plants or bio filter.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    for now I just chance it because I can only have one tank but I do make sure at the store there healthy.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

2 Not allowed!
    Downside of quarantine is that some fish will carry nasties and not be symptomatic.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    A lot of meds these days are not going to hurt your plants or bio media. I think people worry about that too much. Do remember though, if you have to dose for cories, either make sure it is a catfish safe product or you lower the dosage. I think the rule is half the dose for twice as long.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good to know, compass! I did not realize that about catfish.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarrot View Post
    Good to know, compass! I did not realize that about catfish.

It is because they don't have scales. They are not protected in the same way and can't handle the medication as well. Loaches and other scaleless fish are the same way.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh OK. I had a clown loach for a while (rehomed him to someone with a bigger tank and other clowns) and I remember having to be careful with meds. Cool.

1 Not allowed!
    Always quarantine. There is no down side. The longer you quarantine for the better chances you don't introduce anything.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10