· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Fish just hanging and not eating - help do I euthanize

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I posted before about Ich which I have treated with API Super Ich Cure and 82 degrees and have seen no sign at all now for 5 days. I have five fish in the tank, the Rainbows never displayed Ich and seem unaffected by everything, still eating. My Dwarf Orange Gourami had Ich on it bad, but it's been clear for 4 days, the other 2 never looked like they had it but they are both powder blue so hard to spot.

After 48 hrs from last meds I did a 40% WC tonight with a little salt added in and my levels are about where they always are:

PH 7.8 (never changes in our area)
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    Hardness Soft
    Ammonia 0

But ever since the first treatment my Gourami have all been just hanging lethargically at the top of the tank around the filter and not eating, it's been three days now.

They are all the same, but for one very strange thing especially for a territorial fish.....the dwarf neon blue seems to be protecting the dwarf orange, it gets up right alongside it even touching and just stays there. We have also observed it wrapping its tail around the other! Before they got sick my husband told me he saw the two of them tail to tail too!

What is going on....anyone please?

Does the hanging by all 3 for 3 days and no eating mean they are suffering and going to not make it anyway and we should euthanize, we hate to let them suffer. I have searched this forum for information on fish just hanging but cannot find an answer.

Sarah

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should also have added there is plenty of oxygenation, lowered water level so filter is creating more, plus have a large round bubble stone going all the time.....

Awards Showcase

Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly 
    Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh 
    Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Keep temp up at 82 at least till sat, for ich treatment. Also try tomarow another 50% wc with out salt. and on thursday and friday. Good fresh water can help out a lot. A member here had a angle fish she treated for three weeks that did not eat. As in it did not eat for three weeks. She still has it to the best of my knowledge.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you CM, I will try this as they just keep hanging in there and I want them to make it.

3 Not allowed!
    The conditions we create in treating illness also cause a degree of stress to the fish. Ultimately if the gouramis seem to be unable to take it any longer you may have to reduce the temperature, or more likely the salt and medication concentration in the water.

Besides being stressed from medications, I see two other possibilities as to why the gouramis are acting like this.
    Firstly, how much structure(decorations, plants, etc) do you have, especially at the surface? How brightly lit is your tank?
    Gouramis in nature live at the surface of dim, extremely vegetated waters. A sparse, brightly lit tank may lead to nervous fish seeking shelter behind the few structures they can find.

Secondly, how much circulation/flow is there in your tank? Gouramis come from very still waters, and avoid water currents as much as possible. In a high circulation tank that may lead to the gouramis seeking shelter in the relatively low flow area of water just behind the filter outflow.

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Where did you get these gouramis. An LFS or a big box store like PetSmart?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well sadly they had all passed this morning . So I seem to be moving forward with just 2 remaining fish both Rainbows and they seem totally unaffected by all the Ich and very happy and healthy.

I will leave the temp at 82 another week as it is not hurting them and we will be away for a few days. Then on our return we will set-up that new QT and research properly some smaller fish to go forward with....a little at a time. I will also try to rehome or return the Rainbows.

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about that. I asked about where you got them because I know that the dwarf gouramis sold at the big box stores are of incredibly poor quality and are less likely to make it.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly 
    Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh 
    Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    sorry to hear of their passing.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the loss of your fish.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Albino BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"