· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Smile Emergency Filtration

1 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to share a trick I used a couple of times when electric power went to keep filters "working". You can use a siphon type gravel vacuum to keep water circulating over and thru your filter bed of HOB filters. Just place pick-up end into tank( can actually just be secured to side of tank, above substrate) place discharge end into back of HOS filter behind filter pads or media, that is it> Albeit slow water will circulate over and thru media bed. I also used same technique on canister filter, just secure pick-up end of syphon into/onto the discharge tube of canister filter( make sure no leak either water or air) and place discharge end of syphon in to tank , again thats it, again is slow but will keep filter bed viable during power outage and some water movement in tank. If this is old info, just get over it, lol.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh that's a really good idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When we lived in New Bern , N.C., could . count on at least 1 two to three power outage a week, thought about getting kerosene lamps and candles . Thanks for confidence vote

2 Not allowed!
    My biggest concern with a power outage is the temperature dropping in the winter. So what I do is wrap the siphon hose around my body like a coil that way my body heat is transferred to the water. Can't be wearing clothes for this. This also works if you have a heater malfunction. You can do jumping jacks to get the temp up even higher.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    My biggest concern with a power outage is the temperature dropping in the winter. So what I do is wrap the siphon hose around my body like a coil that way my body heat is transferred to the water. Can't be wearing clothes for this. This also works if you have a heater malfunction. You can do jumping jacks to get the temp up even higher.
    For the sake of clarity, can we get a demo video please?
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    For the sake of clarity, can we get a demo video please?
    WHAT?!?! That is dedication my friend! It's so crazy it just might work!!! I'll have to tell the Mrs. to prepare for me doing this in the event of a power outage.

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Haha my that would be funny, wrap the hose around a gas water heater, that should work.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    Haha my that would be funny, wrap the hose around a gas water heater, that should work.
    But no were near as entertaining.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If the hose is flamable it would be, and trust me those thing get hot when there gas.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

0 Not allowed!
    The first sentence was serious though - I'm not the least bit concerned about the BB or oxygenation during a power outage. It's the temp I am concerned about. My tanks dropped to below 60 after hurricane sandy.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10