· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Did My Fishless Cycle Work? And... Ammonia in Tap Water

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

I have a few questions to ask and the following may be a bit hard to follow, so please bear with me. I'm still very new at this and I want to get it right so I don't stress, or worse, kill my fish. I have a 60 litre tank and I completed a fishless cycle, as per the instructions on the forum, without any apparent problems. I then introduced 6 small silvertip tetras (each less than an inch in length) at the advice of my local store. I later found out that two of these fish are in fact cherry barbs! Anyway, I have been monitoring the tank closely and testing the water regularly.

Following the cycling of the tank nitrates and nitrites have always been zero, pH remains around 6.4, hardness is 4 degrees and chlorine is always zero. The ammonia level went up from zero to 0.5 so I did a 30% water change and it dropped to 0.25 for a few days and is now back up at 0.5 At the last water change I checked the filter (foam type) and I could see no significant dirt/debris.

When I first started cycling the tank I used Tetra 6 in 1 test strips for most parameters and a Waterlife NH3/NH4 test for the ammonia, this is the test tube type with 2 bottles of test liquid. After cycling the tank I purchased an API Master Freshwater Test Kit, which included an ammonia test, because I read that the test strips aren't very good. This coincides with the increase in ammonia so I suspect my original Waterlife test kit is inaccurate. I have tested the two side by side and the Waterlife test comes back as zero but the API one reads 0.5 I am inclined to err on the side of caution and believe the API results.

I feed the fish flake once a day, a small pinch and if they eat it all I give them a little bit more. I also feed live daphnia once a week to vary their diet. Any residue left after 10 minutes is netted out. When I do a partial water change I agitate the gravel to suck up any debris. I recently introduced a couple of live plants and there has been a piece of bog wood in there from the start, which I soaked for a week prior to adding. The fish are very active during feeding and I have seen no signs of distress.

So, my first question is: Could the fishless cycle have failed despite everything looking ok? I ask this mainly because I kind of expected to see something on the foam filter to indicate a build up of bacteria.

Second: Is it possible that my tap water contains ammonia? I have consulted the water provider's website and it says they don't use ammonia during disinfection of water supplies.

I understand that ammonia is produced in the tank from fish waste as well as from decomposed food, but shouldn't the filter deal with this if it is working correctly? Should I treat the water with something like Safe Start or Filter Aid to help things along?

Sorry, lots of information and questions. Hopefully someone can make some sense of it all and advise me.
    Rod

16g tropical - Silvertip, Cherry Barb, Clown Plec & Cherry Shrimp

Awards Showcase

BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 
    Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    A cycled tank should show at least some trAtes...what water conditioner do you use?

Did you shake the 2nd bottle of the API trAte test like crazy?...that bottle needs to be shaken for a long time, violently, before testing

Why not test your tap water yourself, with the API ammonia test?

You won't see anything on a sponge that indicates beneficial bacteria, they are microscopic
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I used Tetra Safe Start initially and treat all water with Tetra Aqua Safe when I do a water change, I also get it up to the same temperature as the tank, currently set at 25 degrees celsius.

I do shake the second API titrate bottle vigorously for a minute as per the instructions.
    I have tested the tap water today with the API test and it showed 0.25 so unless my test kit is wrong I need to treat all new water for ammonia.
    Rod

Awards Showcase

BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 
    Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    When you run out of the Aqua Safe (or even before then) get you a bottle of Seachem Prime, it's awesome stuff...very little amount goes a long way (1 ml per 10 (US) gallon of water), and it will bind and render harmless any ammonia in your tap or tank for 24 hours

Try using this chart next time, instead of the color code card that came with the API test kit: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/downloads.html

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that information, I'll look into getting some of that, and I'll print out the charts aswell.
    Rod

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You're quite welcome. You don't have to print the charts, just save the page in you favorites or bookmarks...when you test, just hold the test tube up to your monitor to compare colors

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    .25 ammonia in tap water is not a problem. As Matt advised, use the Prime to dechlorinate and detoxify the ammonia in your tap water. The BB will take care of it after 24 hrs.

Do not add any Tetra Safestart or other BB product - they have ammonia in them to keep the BB alive.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK, that puts my mind at rest a little, thanks.
    Rod