· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Active daytime fish?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm setting up a 60-gallon freshwater tropical tank. Right now, I have 18 tetras (a mix of Golden Pristella, Pristella, and Orange von Rio), 3 green cory cats, and 4 clown loaches.

I like this tank a lot, but during the day it's kind of boring because the clown loaches don't come out much, and the cory cats don't either. So in the day, it seems like the tank is nothing but tetras. I want to get a small school of fish that'll be more active day swimmers, preferably mid-top tank because the tank feels rather bottom-heavy right now.

I've been thinking about getting 4 Dennison's barbs. Would these fish work well with what I already have?

The tank seems pretty well cycled and has been running for about 3 weeks. I change 5 gallons of water every week. Test strips show ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0. Nitrates are below 10. The tank is moderately planted, and I have added natural-looking caves and some artificial hollow driftwood for additional hiding places that my clown loaches really like.

1 Not allowed!
    Denison barbs grow to 6 inches and are fast - they need a much larger tank. I couldn't imagine keeping mine in less than a 6 foot tank.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Did or have your read cycling with fish in beginner corner? Second recommendation is to get a api master test kit for fresh water. It gives better test results. Is this your first tank? And when changing water you should try to do 15 to 30 gallons. What kind of decorator do you use? We will get to barbs in a min .
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should change 15 to 30 gallons every week? That seems excessive. The advice I've read elsewhere says 10% weekly. I admit that 5 gallons weekly is only 8.3%, but the fish aren't showing any signs of stress, and I'm assuming that test strips are accurate enough that if they're showing say nitrate < 10, then the nitrates should be at the very least < 40 (which I've read is the point where nitrates become truly concerning). Otherwise, we're talking about more than a 4X error in accuracy.

I have a Seachem hang-on-tank ammonia alert, and it shows 0 ("safe") as well. I have an API master kit, but TBH I'm not inclined to bother with the test strips showing levels so low and the fish showing no signs of stress.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the &quot;good old days&quot; of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    If your readings keep looking good. Ok just watch them. A lot of people here recomend water changes of 25% weekly. I only have one small concern for you. The growth of the clown loaches can get pretty big.
    Now this is just my opion on nitrate, good less than 10 ppm, ok 10 to 30 ppm, over 30 ppm I am doing a water change of 50%. I like to try to be overly carefull.

On my 5gal tank i wc 2gal every week, 10 gal 6 gal every week, and 20 gal 8 every week.

It is a matter of personal perferance.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    Denison barbs grow to 6 inches and are fast - they need a much larger tank. I couldn't imagine keeping mine in less than a 6 foot tank.
    Same goes for the clown loaches!

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1945 View Post
    I should change 15 to 30 gallons every week? That seems excessive. The advice I've read elsewhere says 10% weekly. I admit that 5 gallons weekly is only 8.3%, but the fish aren't showing any signs of stress, and I'm assuming that test strips are accurate enough that if they're showing say nitrate < 10, then the nitrates should be at the very least < 40 (which I've read is the point where nitrates become truly concerning). Otherwise, we're talking about more than a 4X error in accuracy.

I have a Seachem hang-on-tank ammonia alert, and it shows 0 ("safe") as well. I have an API master kit, but TBH I'm not inclined to bother with the test strips showing levels so low and the fish showing no signs of stress.
    Test strips aren't accurate.Bother or not it's up to you. Your cories aren't active now because you're keeping three. Your cories may not be active in a few months because the clown loaches scare them.

A good sized group of cories is active during the day.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so at this point is my only realistic option to get rid of the clown loaches? Getting a bigger tank is absolutely out of the question. I don't have money, space, or time for a larger tank.

I want to be pretty sure that getting rid of the clown loaches is my only possible option before doing so. They're my favorite fish in the tank by far.

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I will admit that clown loaches are extremely funny and cute when they are in the tank. But keeping them in a tank that they will eventually grow out of will just give you and the loaches a tough time later.
    Remove the loaches and give them back to the LFS and get about 4-6 more corys and that will give you the activity in the tank you want
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong