· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    I can't say much for keeping cories, but I do know that cories and dwarf babies tears can be an aggravating combination. They really like to root around under the baby tears and will end up pulling it up out of the ground. Granted your cories may not even look twice at the plant, but it is something to think about.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I can't say much for keeping cories, but I do know that cories and dwarf babies tears can be an aggravating combination. They really like to root around under the baby tears and will end up pulling it up out of the ground. Granted your cories may not even look twice at the plant, but it is something to think about.
    Are there any bottom tank plants that you think cories most likely wouldn't cause a problem with? Or would it be best to not worry about this and wait til the plant I choose gets a good root system, then add the cories.

My Arcuatus cories have uprooted a dying bottom tank plant, but they don't mess with anything else.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Alot of people will tell you that sand is the only substate to keep Cory's over, but I have kept mine for years over FlouriteŽ :http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...73231344,d.cGU, with no ill effects on the Corys or their barbels.
    I also have 4 bags of Eco complete and 2 of flourite. The reason I didn't mention the fluorite was because I was thinking of putting it under the Eco complete, mainly because of how messy it gets. I thought the flourite was somewhat sharp as well. May have been just me.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Agreed with Steeler. My cories have beautiful barbels and they're also kept on flourite. All cases of barbel erosion I've seen have occurred thanks to poor diet or poor water.
    The only thing with rougher substrates is that food pellets small enough to fit into the cories' mouths might slip into the cracks and become inaccessible. I personally just use a reptile food dish to eliminate this issue.
    I should definitely have some area for putting bottom feeder food, now that I think about it. Probably the opposite area of where the pleco cave will be.

Also, what type of cories do you keep?

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I think it depends on the plant's root system. Babytears have very very shallow roots. Pretty much just hold on for dear life. So while the cories are naturally just rooting around they can push it up very easily. Anything with a good root system should hold up to the cories.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Faded View Post
    I should definitely have some area for putting bottom feeder food, now that I think about it. Probably the opposite area of where the pleco cave will be.

You can use any old plate but I like using a terracotta dish (ones you put under pots). They sink well and will age very well in the tank. Plus you can find them in a large array of sizes.

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Faded View Post

I keep Sterbai, but I haven't seen a cory I DON'T like, lol...they're awesome little fish...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept trilineatus, panda, melanotaenia, zygatus cories.

0 Not allowed!
    I much prefer loaches to Corys. In a tank that big you most certainly could keep both Corys and loaches.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Now that jaysee mentions it. I too prefer loaches. Cories are great, but I've just fallen in love with my kuhliis and how they behave. Granted you'd probably do something other than kuhliis in a tank that big. Personally zebra loaches are probably my favorite though I've yet to keep them.