· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default My concerns about cories.

0 Not allowed!
    I hate to make a thread like this, but while figuring out my 125 gallon, I came into realization that I'm not experienced with corydoras. My strong spot was supposed to be general tropical community fish, but this puts me back. I have 4 arcuatus cories in my 45 gallon that do very well, but I still don't know much about them in general. They were fish that I ended up getting unintentionally that just happened to thrive.

I'm fixing to start my 125 gallon journal and keeping bronze cories and sterbai cories is on my list. The first thing I realized is that I originally intended to just use Eco complete for my substrate, but after reading that they can damage their barbells, this is seeming very iffy. I don't know if I should cover the substrate with sand, but at the same time I'm not sure if covering the substrate with sand is going to limit bottom plant options. My 125 gallon has to be done correctly, as this will be largest indoor tank I have kept so far.

I really would appreciate some input and suggestions on this, since I plan to put in the substrate pretty soon.

Awards Showcase

Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly 
    Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh 
    Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    Covering the eco complete with a sand cap is a great idea. Good for corys. Also i have seen many tanks heavily planted this way. What plants are you wanting bottom cover. If you are not in a rush to fill tank and cycle. You can dry start bottom plants. Put your eco complete and sand cap in and bottom cover plants in. Let them grow a month and then fill tank and cycle. Search on here for dry start plants or PM triton.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Default My concerns about cories.

0 Not allowed!
    Theres more to erosion than just substrate - I've seen accounts of erosion occurring with sand. Albeit rare.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly 
    Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh 
    Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    Theres more to erosion than just substrate - I've seen accounts of erosion occurring with sand. Albeit rare.
    Your talking about water quality issues and the barrels right?
    Fishes go "pook pook"

Default My concerns about cories.

0 Not allowed!
    No, water quality was reported to be good in the accounts I've seen. But yes, water quality probably plays a role. I wonder if it might not be some sort of infection in some cases.

There are plenty of people who keep Corys with gravel without any issues, so it's not like it's a necessity for healthy fish. I don't know about the substrate you are talking about though.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Eco complete is a good substrate for plants as for sand pool filter sand of good quality sand from lfs works good. And from the journal faded has on here it looks like he does a great job. I agree with you in his case water quality would not really be a problem.
    Fishes go "pook pook"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    There are plenty of people who keep Corys with gravel without any issues, so it's not like it's a necessity for healthy fish. I don't know about the substrate you are talking about though.
    I'm pretty sure it's not smooth, but not rough either. I looked around the web and saw some reports of it giving them problems and some being fine.

And a plant I wanted to keep was dwarf baby tears. I'm using a very strong LED light and I'm leaning towards co2

0 Not allowed!
    There aren't many things in this hobby that will be unanimous :-)

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    Alot of people will tell you that sand is the only substate to keep Cory's over, but I have kept mine for years over Flourite® :http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...73231344,d.cGU, with no ill effects on the Corys or their barbels.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

1 Not allowed!
    Agreed with Steeler. My cories have beautiful barbels and they're also kept on flourite. All cases of barbel erosion I've seen have occurred thanks to poor diet or poor water.
    The only thing with rougher substrates is that food pellets small enough to fit into the cories' mouths might slip into the cracks and become inaccessible. I personally just use a reptile food dish to eliminate this issue.