· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I use a similar method when it comes to stocking. As long as you have proper filtration, all you need to worry about is your fish having the swimming room they need. You just need to take into consideration how fast the fish are, aggression, water conditions, ect,

And as for rainbows, they do get decently sized so in my opinion, your best bet would be to just have a school of rainbows instead of both rainbows and harlequins. If this was a 20 gallon tall, I would say otherwise.
    Harlequins are generally easier to keep, and you could probably manage a school of around 12.

0 Not allowed!
    Aqadvisor is very conservative with their stocking. 100% is not the tanks capacity.

Regarding rainbows - only ones I would even consider are the blue eyed rainbows. I have much more experience with the melanotaenia rainbows than the pseudomugils, so perhaps even they are too much. Maybe clown killis would be a better choice for the top of the tank.

I would do 2 schools (one upper and one middle) and a centerpiece. I like cherry barbs for the middle school.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Blue eyed rainbows are stunning, perfect fish for a higher pH and hardness. I completely forgot about them, these could probably kept with 8 harlequins or a different kind of small schooler.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Faded View Post
    I use a similar method when it comes to stocking. As long as you have proper filtration, all you need to worry about is your fish having the swimming room they need. You just need to take into consideration how fast the fish are, aggression, water conditions, ect,

And as for rainbows, they do get decently sized so in my opinion, your best bet would be to just have a school of rainbows instead of both rainbows and harlequins. If this was a 20 gallon tall, I would say otherwise.
    Harlequins are generally easier to keep, and you could probably manage a school of around 12.
    I have a twenty gallon tall tank. I would either get a school of rainbows or a school of harlequin rasboras. I am just trying to figure out for my twenty gallon tank which would be the better school to get. I want them to look good and be active, but technically survivability is more important to me, as well as compatibility with my shrimp colony.

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    I would go with the smaller, less active rasboras.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    I would go with the smaller, less active rasboras.
    Jaysee and Fader i like your ideas of two schools...8 of a harlequin rasbora

Are the blue eyed rainbows you are talking about the celebes rainbows? If so i had them before and thought they were very pretty.

My ph is typically about 8.2 normally.

Also regarding cherry barbs, I had considered them in the past but with only a ten gallon tank at the time i didn't want to chance it. If i got cherry barbs how many would i get for the middle school?

Also with my shrimp would a school of harlequin rasboras and cherry barbs be best?

Also how would you suggest i expand my shrimp line?

Thank you both i like all of your ideas. I have a slight bit more flexibility since i run two filters and the temperture has finally dropped to 75-76 degrees since i lowered my heater to compensate...for the shrimp.

I do know my two algae eater shrimp and my two cherry shrimp survived...the blueberry shrimp are too small for me to see and could be hiding.

Thanks again and let me know what you think and if i should get each school of fish in two week stages. ( example the eight rasboras or school of cherry barbs one week then two weeks later the remaining school)

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice