0 Not allowed!
    Current Stock

[LIST][*]1 Bronze Cory Cat
    • 1 Clown Pleco
    • 1 Peppered Cory Cat
    • 2 Algae Eating Shrimp
    • 2 Cherry Shrimp
    • 2 Blueberry Shrimp
    • 1 Narrow leaf java fern attached to small piece of driftwood - from 10 gallon tank
    • 1 Anubias Nana attached to a Medium piece of driftwood
    • 1 clump recently added Barcoa caroliniana plant in background
    • 1 Nerite Snail

Filters existing from my old 10 gallon Tank
    • 1 Aqueon 30 filter (for 45 gal tanks)
    • 1 Aqueon 20 filter (for 30 gallon tanks)

Sponges cover the intakes on the filters so the shrimp hang out there.

All my fish are bottom feeders. I plan to add 2 more cory cats in a week or two to make it a full set of 4. However i need middle or top swimming fish that would be compatible and not go after the corys and the shrimp (not too often anyhow).

Does anyone have any suggestions. I don't want to overstock my tank. Aquadvisor states with my current filtration my tank is stocked at 58% with over 300% filtration.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

1 Not allowed!
    After keeping both of these fish for a few years, I do not think a 20 tall would be suited for a clown pleco and a proper school of pepper cories. I would suggest trying to rehome them. You could look into replacing them with more shrimp or a school of Pygmy Cories.

For more active fish that would be in the upper sections of the tank, I would suggest looking into micro rasbouras.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't have any concerns about putting my clown in a 20 high, but I wouldn't keep Corys in one. After having kept them in larger tanks, it's quite apparent that that's too small. A 30" long tank is as small as I would put full size Corys in.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i've grown attached to my two cory cats and my clown pleco because they have names now. Based on your advise though I will NOt expand the corys in my tank.

Though may I ask why you think they would not be good fish for this tank? I have never heard of that before and i would like to know for future reference.

Also would harlequin rasboras work if i couldn't find micro rasboras? if so how many should i get for the school.

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In resonse to Jaysee:

According to when i got the fish i thought the pepered cory and the bronze cory don't get bigger than 2-3 inches? I always got the smaller breeds of cory cats because these two were originally in my 10 gallon tank, and i couldn't host any of the bigger cory cats in that tank safely.

is this incorrect?

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

Default Stocking question for my new 20 gallon tall tank

0 Not allowed!
    I would not put any schooling fish larger than 2 inches in a 2 foot long tank. My stocking philosophy for schooling fish is 1 inch of fish per foot of tank. So the smallest tank I would keep a school of 3 inch long fish is a 3 foot tank, 4 inch in a 4 footer, 6 in a 6. That is my own guideline based on keeping many different species in many different sized tanks. So that's why I say 30" (29 gallon) for Corys - because they are about 2.5 inches. That falls right in line with my observations keeping them in tanks from 10 to 90 gallons.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That explains it, you are using the one inch rule, which is a guideline as my aqadvisor is.

That clenches it the bottom feeders will stay as is with the exception of the shrimp colony expansion, though I haven't decided how i'm going to do that yet. I just cant let the pleco and the cory's go as i've had them for about six months to a year now with their names.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

Default Stocking question for my new 20 gallon tall tank

3 Not allowed!
    No that is not correct. I am not using the inch per gallon rule. The guideline that I came up with (for schooling fish) is based on the relationship between the length of the fish and the length of the tank. When stocking, the actual number of gallons a tank is is irrelevant. All that matters is the dimensions of the tank, of which length is most important, followed by width and then height.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

1 Not allowed!
    I remember when the guy made aqadvisor. It's a tool, and tools are only as good as the person using them. It can be both used and abused.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    I remember when the guy made aqadvisor. It's a tool, and tools are only as good as the person using them. It can be both used and abused.
    I was thinking based on the advise of another person in the forums a school of about 8 harlequin rasboras. According to aquadvisor it would take my stocking to 82 % because i'm running two filters i think.

I was also considering as an alternative a small school of the smaller rainbow species for the upper half swimming area of the tank...did not check the stocking level on the rainbows yet (possibly celebes or dwarf rainbows).

what do you think jaysee as you look like you're one of those that always keep schooling fish.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice