· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default MY Novel, Patented Ecological Habitat for Fish - A desktop sized Pond Aquarium Hybrid

0 Not allowed!
    Hiya, I want to introduce to you'all my "Microcosm Terrestrial and Aquatic Landscape Habitat" otherwise known as "The Ponder."

It is a desk top or coffee table sized Pond surrounded by three miniature mountains and a pane of glass. On one miniature mountain is an Upper Pool. Water pumped by a submersible electric, aquatic fountain pump goes down the watercourse to the waterfalls back into the main basin pond. So, I have a pond surrounded by naturalistically sloping miniature mountains with pots built in for bonsai trees and other terrestrial plants which is a Pond to be viewed from above and which, with the Pane of Glass, allows for underwater viewing of fish and other aquatic life in their under water habitats. I have three sizes available: 20"Long X 15" Wide X 10" High; 25" Long X 19" Wide X 10" High; 29" Long X 23" Wide X 10" High. Email me at nicholasj.gramza@gmail.com if you'd like to order one : )
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the dimensions you have given are for the whole structure or for the container holding the fish only?
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The dimensions I have given are for the whole structure. The unit pictured (25" Long X 19" Wide X 10" High) holds a little more than 3 liters, so is suitable for Paradise Fish, Platies (pictured), guppies, endlers, Heterandria, betta, goldfish. I have a 29" Long X 23" Wide X 10" High model which holds just over a gallon. I am in production of a 3 gallon capacity model, but this isn't ready yet. : )

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ummmmm no!
    Bro listen i am very sorry but this pond tank thing will not work out, all the fishes you have said need to be stocked in a 10 gall minimum. The betta will need to be stocked in a 5 gallon minimum and the goldfish in a 30 gallon and higher.

If i were you i would not sell any of these as tanks but rather as a desktop fountain system WITH A STRICT WARNING THAT SAYS NO FISH CAN BE PUT IN THIS TANK.
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NicholasGramza View Post
    The dimensions I have given are for the whole structure. The unit pictured (25" Long X 19" Wide X 10" High) holds a little more than 3 liters, so is suitable for Paradise Fish, Platies (pictured), guppies, endlers, Heterandria, betta, goldfish. I have a 29" Long X 23" Wide X 10" High model which holds just over a gallon. I am in production of a 3 gallon capacity model, but this isn't ready yet. : )

Oh, great! Yet another "let's torture Betta fish to death by cramming them into a tiny unheated and unfiltered tank! Yeah, the market really needs more of those.

I'd say go and live in a 3 by 4 ft appartment with a little camping toilet in a corner. Suitable for inventors of tiny unsuitable aquariums.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. I agree that 3 liters is tiny. Of course I have seen smaller sized fish-keeping containers. But are 3 feeder guppies, 4 feeder platies better off going into
    an Oscar, Severum, Snakehead or into my device??? Speaking of Snakeheads, baby ones would do fine in my device. Of course they'd have to be transferred
    when they grew.

Don't like putting fish into 3 litres of water? How about clawed or dwarf frogs, snails, clams, a few ghost shrimp or crabs?

I am currently in production of an over 3 gallon model. Goldfish bowls sold in my area pet stores are 1.5 gallons or less.

I have seen "professional" fish folk keep killie fish in less than 2 gallons. I have never kept killie fish.

I can make these devices in ANY size and am looking forward to building some that hold 8-10 gallons. These are for serious fish keepers more than those
    looking for an aesthetic device for the office desk or coffee table. Such larger units will require placement on a table or special stand. Production of larger units
    - say 8+ gallons will be happening in the coming months.

As far as filtration, pumps are available with polyester and carbon filter pads...a little pricey but this is a luxury item.

Awards Showcase

A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx 
    Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

3 Not allowed!
    I'm sure you make a wonderful product, but just not one suitable for fish. I think you need to reevaluate who you are selling this to. Just because your three gallon is bigger than the other guys 1.5 gallon, does not make it in anyway better. These fish deserve something bigger. It isn't good for the fish and it isn't good for this hobby. I'm sure they look lovely and maybe shrimp or snails would do fine in there. If so, market it to those guys. Not to anyone keeping fish. This sounds harsh but quite frankly I think it should. What you are promoting should not be condoned.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NicholasGramza View Post
    Hi. I agree that 3 liters is tiny. Of course I have seen smaller sized fish-keeping containers. But are 3 feeder guppies, 4 feeder platies better off going into
    an Oscar, Severum, Snakehead or into my device??? Speaking of Snakeheads, baby ones would do fine in my device. Of course they'd have to be transferred
    when they grew.
    The prefix "feeder" is a North-American habit to denote fish of poor colouring. These are still the same fish at the genetic level. An oscar or a snakehead would require a shoehorn to fit into this contraption.
    Don't like putting fish into 3 litres of water? How about clawed or dwarf frogs, snails, clams, a few ghost shrimp or crabs?
    Clams will quickly starve in something of this design. Frogs need more room. Crabs are likely to escape the wet part and end up pn the carpet.

I am currently in production of an over 3 gallon model. Goldfish bowls sold in my area pet stores are 1.5 gallons or less.
    So? The only thing the goldfish bowl proves is that you live somewhere where these are not yet outlawed. The unsuitability of the goldfish bowl for goldfish and in fact most fish is so well established that any fishkeeper of any skill will advice you to ignore them for anything except maybe a wallstad shrimp bowl.
    I have seen "professional" fish folk keep killie fish in less than 2 gallons. I have never kept killie fish.
    These are usually either breeding or growing out tanks with very frequent water changes.
    I can make these devices in ANY size and am looking forward to building some that hold 8-10 gallons. These are for serious fish keepers more than those
    looking for an aesthetic device for the office desk or coffee table.
    No. You think these are for serious fishkeepers but you got some serious fish keepers here and on the other forum where you put this telling you that this is a bad idea right up there with the 0.5 gallow glowfish tank and the betta in a vase.

Such larger units will require placement on a table or special stand. Production of larger units
    - say 8+ gallons will be happening in the coming months.

As far as filtration, pumps are available with polyester and carbon filter pads...a little pricey but this is a luxury item.
    A filter is not a luxury, it's an essential piece of kit for an aquarium, well at least for those where you expect something to live anything close to it's natural livespan.

Look, I can understand that you're passionate about this since you put your own money in a patent for this (http://www.google.com/patents/US20120103272) but that does not make it a suitable fish tank. It's a hybrid between a planter and a fish tank and one that does not appeal to any serious fishkeeper. It's possibly to modify this idea into something reasonably fish friendly but even describing my ideas on that would violate your patent. As it stands now perhaps you will find an audience for this on the Chinese market. I see any attempt to sell this in Europe fail miserably and I highly doubt it will be accepted by the north-american public.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 08-18-2014 at 01:46 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to everything above.

1 Not allowed!
    The smaller models aren't particularly suited to anything other than snails or shrimp, but a 5-10 gallon version may be suited for bettas.
    But not goldfish though. Regardless of how some people keep them, to properly house common goldfish you'd need an actual 100 gallon pond.