· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Outside elevated pond

0 Not allowed!
    Hello AC
    I have a outside tub that I have not done a water change on in 13 months and was wondering if changing more than %25 of the water could be dangerous. The tubs entire top half is heavily planted with a break in the middle so i can see to the bottom and also the fish (8 empire gudgeons and 2 plattys). The plants root system is amazing and catches most of the dead plant matter before it reaches the bottom half. but after a year I can no longer see my stones on the bottom and want to remove the layer of dirt over them.

Could changing the water affect the balance and kill my fish? 2 years ago when i first started the tub i did a water change around every 2-4 weeks and it had a filter but it took about a year before my plants became well established and i removed the larger fish, filter and stopped the water changes.

3 Not allowed!
    The water change in itself not necessarily. If you have testing supplies do test the tub as well as tap to see how big the difference is.

What you have now is basically a huge walstad system where the plants provide the filtration. Any action on this setup is best done in small steps to reduce the risk of upsetting the balance.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to above, what plants do you have in there?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a med size pond for a while and loved. Mine to was heavily planted and well established, no filtration of any kind, only a small circulation pump. I never did water changes, however about twice a year I would remove some of the yuck from the bottom slow over a period of 2 to 3 days. I found that a plastic pitchfork worked great as mine was lined. I agree any changes or adjustments to your setup need to be gradual.
    Some pic would be greatly appreciated.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not that it matters but how many gallons is your tank?
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I frequently do 90% water changes on my stingray tank. if done regularly it would not affect your plants.
    Thar she blows!!!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for your advice and information.

I will clean as much of the bottom as i can within %10-20 and space the cleans out a week between. Sorry i don't know what my plants are I am slowly getting rid of the floating plant though as the other plant is well established now and I think the floating plant killed my lily and is keeping my other plant down. The one plant I will be keeping grows leaves about 5-10cm under the surface to about 5-10cm above and has white/purple flowers. Sorry I don't have any pictures I will try to upload some in a week. I think The size is about 175L.

Stingray tank sounds awesome is it inside or outside?